Are you a woodworker who does a lot of work with smooth edges and a clean surface? Then this combination of bench sander and disc sander must be present in your workshop.
If you are doing a large percentage of your sanding by hand, having a reliable and compact bench sander and disc sander combination can be an absolute game-changer. Choosing the best option suitable for you can be confusing, and this is why this article has been written to help you make the best choice.
This article is a review of the best bench and disc sander combination because why not? Most of the time, woodworkers buy any random brand and model of their tools without considering a number of factors. This article will help you weigh the different options you have, and you end up purchasing the best option that would serve you for as long as possible.
Why the combination of a bench belt sander and a disc sander, though? First off, these two types of sanders complement themselves in every stage of the working process.
You might think that this combination sander takes up too much room, as they tend to be larger than a dedicated disc sander; however, it is nothing to worry about; they can be a station in themselves that takes up a portion of the shop floor.
A combination sander is valuable in a woodworking shop as a role player. The disc is excellent for precise edge work, like fitting miter joints and trueing outside curves. The belt allows you to flatten faces and edges, shape contours, and smooth inside curves.
This machine helps save so much time, much more than you can imagine. Even more, the best benchtop sanders increase your efficiency and speed up the rate of your work.
Another job that belt and disc sanders excel in is when you want to shape wood. You can quickly produce curves on stock edges with the belt. The amount of curve that you can create will depend upon the width of the belt that you are using.
Of course, before purchasing any combination sander at all, there are general factors to be considered before taking each tool from different brands and checking their specifications. These factors include;
Belt Size; There are two primary belt sizes standard with these bench belt sander and disc sander combination. They include 36-inch x 4 inch and 48-inch x 6 inches, depending on the model. Obviously, the bigger belt offers more space for working with a belt sander. If you would be working with small pieces of wood, the smaller size should be sufficient for you.
Disc Size; The disc of a belt disc sander usually gets used more, making its size highly important. Any sanding disc of 12 inches offers more space and ease of use when compared with a 6-inch sanding disc.
Motor Power; Whether you are buying an electric or a pneumatic belt disc sander, its motor power is highly important to check. A 10 amp motor power rating is better than a 5 amp motor. For pneumatic ones, a 1 HP motor is better than a ½ HP one.
In general, belt disc sanders are a lot better options and have a better work efficiency than an ordinary, standalone belt and disc sanders. Another benefit is that you can use both hands to manage the workpiece; read through the reviews to find which option best fits your needs.
Our Favorite Choice Of Bench Sander Summary:
5 Best Bench Sander Combination Review In Details:
1. BUCKTOOL BD4801 Bench Belt Sander and Disc Sander
If you are just hearing the brand name Bucktool for the first time, relax, you have got nothing to worry about. Even though Bucktool is a comparatively more minor brand of power tools, the genius in their belt disc sander tool cannot be denied. They are a trustworthy brand, bringing in high-performance and excellent service to the woodworking world.
Bucktool BD4801 Bench Belt Sander is in the first position on this review list as it the premium, and it is the best choice if you are particular about the power efficiency.
It includes a sanding disc and a belt where the disc has a size of 8 inches, and the belt has dimensions of 36-inch x 4 inch. These are powered by a 5 amp electric motor that is quite decent for most users out there. This sander was directly driven by a 3/4 HP induction motor, and the motor provides enough power for small and large sanding operations on various materials.
The sanding belt and disc have independent dust collecting port; the large sawdust cannot enter, thereby improving the lifespan of this machine. There is also an adjustable work rest used in sandering disc and can be used for the sanding of curved workpieces.
- The motor shaft directly drives the sanding belt.
- Motor direct-drive design can increase the sanding efficiency by 25% more than the traditional design.
- The belt can work at 0 or 90 degrees depending on the needs of the project.
- The driven drum allows for sanding of curved wood pieces.
- Quick sander belt replacement design and humanized track control.
- Sturdy cast aluminum base with rubber food prevents vibrations.
- The two dust ports allow a dust-free operation when connecting with a dust collector.
- The two-in-one sanding machine includes both a 4 x 36-inch belt and an 8-inch disc.
- Angle adjustable work table with miter gauge used on both sanding disc and belt.
- This sander uses no belt, no gear, so you don’t have to adjust the cog belt tension and change the cog belt like before.
- It offers a large disc and belt for ease of use.
- The sanding belt tilts up to 90 degrees vertical.
- This belt disc sander leaves the best looking edge on your woodwork pieces.
- It is faster, more controllable, and more precise than the alternatives.
- Provision has been made for the protection of the sanding disc during shipment.
- The build quality is only average.
- The warranty period is relatively short.
2. POWERTEC BD1502 Belt Disc Bench Sander for Woodworking
This belt disc sander provided by PowerTec is simple, suitable, and well-constructed for novices and professionals. We like the simple belt change, though it can be noisy. This convenient belt sander offers the ultimate when it comes to precise and flawless sanding and is very simple to use.
The belt disc combination is equipped with both an abrasive belt and disc combo. This combo is large enough and perfectly sized to handle an assortment of sanding and woodworking applications and can sand hard places to reach quite easily.
With its multiple adjustment options, this versatile and customizable work machine does the job to your specifications. An adjustable belt tracking function ensures that the belt stays in proper alignment.
The two cast aluminum tables provide exceptional work support and tilt up to 45 degrees. The cast iron base prevents the machine from wobbling and walking in use.
The convenient adjustable tilt table optimizes sanding when working with folded paper. And an easy-to-remove backplate allows sanding on jobs with curved or uneven shapes. This small yet sturdy machine has even more essential attributes.
The combination sander is enhanced with a quiet but powerful 120 V, 60 Hz, 1/3 HP (peak), and the 2. 3 amp induction motor delivers 3160 FPM For the belt and 3450 RPM for disc speed. This belt and disc sander Combo includes two 1-3/4 O. D. dust ports providing for a tidy and practical dust collection.
- 1″ x30″ sanding belt.
- 5″ sanding disc.
- 2 work tables with 0° – 45° tilt.
- Heavy duty miter gauge.
- Belt guard.
- 2 Dust ports.
- Adjustable band tracking.
- Removable back plate.
- Horsepower: 1/3 HP.
- Power Supply: 120 V / 1 PH / 60 HZ.
- Amp: 2.3 amp.
- Belt Table Diameter: 5-3/4”.
- Disc Table Dimensions: 4″ x 7-1/4”.
- It is light and straightforward to use.
- It has an adjustable disc and belt table.
- It features a miter gauge and a heavy-duty base.
- Powerful and efficient.
- The sanding belt is easy to change.
- It has a compact design.
- It can be noisy.
- The belt tends to slip often.
3. SKIL 3376-01 Belt/Disc Combination Bench Sander
The new SKIL 3376 4 x 36-inch Belt/Disc Sander is a two-in-one sanding station. DIY woodworkers can use the disk for exacting edge work and the belt for flattening surfaces, creating contours, and smoothing inside curves.
The adjustable tabletop and belt angle let you sand up to 90 degrees. Sand miter angles with the miter gauge.
Belt tracking stays secure with tension spring adjustment. The 3376 Belt/Disc Sander mounts easily to your benchtop with the pre-drilled holes in the base. There’s also a dust port for a 2-1/2-inch vacuum hose to help control dust.
As far as sanders are concerned, this company has produced striking sanders with an innovative technology known all over the world. The SKIL 3376-01 4-Inch x 36-Inch Belt/Disc Sander is probably one of the best bench sander ever introduced. In addition to its high quality, this sander has multiple features that make the task easy and fun.
- Two-in-One Sanding Station for sanding a variety of lengths and angles.
- Beveling Table Top allows for sanding 45-90 degrees.
- Belt Angle Adjustment allows for sanding 0-90 degrees.
- Tension Spring Adjustment for secure belt tracking.
- Base with pre-drilled holes for quick and easy mounting to a benchtop.
- Size: 4 inch x 36 inch.
- Dust port accepts 2-1/2 inch vacuum hose.
- Minimizing dust in the work area.
- Miter gauge for sanding miter angles on the workpiece.
- Safety switch for quick shut-offs.
- Includes 6-inch abrasive disc, 4-inch x 36-inch abrasive belt, miter gauge & adjustable wrenches.
- One year factory warranty.
- It does excellent for coarse sanding.
- Great value for its price.
- It has plenty of power for more extensive projects.
- It runs nice and smooth for delicate work.
- Easy to assemble.
- Might not suitable for heavy duty sanding applications.
4. Rockwell Belt/Disc Combination Bench Sander
Here we have another excellent option for the budget-minded consumer. This belt sander/disc sander combo comes at a price tag any hobbyist or weekend warrior could swing. Not only that, it offers some decent performance characteristics that sweeten the pot.
The respectable 4.3-amp motor helps the sanding disc chew through most materials with ease. And that 4-inch wide belt is perfect for working on surfaces the disc simply cannot.
Want a unit that comes with not only a versatile belt sander but also a decent disc sander? Then you might want to pause your search here because this unit from Rockwell might be what you were looking for all this time.
Other than that, the sanding table is also adjustable. According to your workflow, you will be able to set it anywhere between 0 to 45 degrees. It will make sanding those beveled edges look like a walk in the park.
Another excellent detail is the fact that everything is adjusted with the use of oversized knobs to keep things easy. It’s also worth mentioning that the use of cast aluminum in the base’s construction is plenty sturdy but relatively light. That makes it easy enough to reposition the entire unit as needed.
As you might expect, this is a light-duty machine. And while that’s good enough for small projects, it’ll fall on its face under excessive load. Therefore, it’s essential to take extra care when using it to prevent damaging the motor.
- The belt platform is spacious enough – 4 inches by 36 inches.
- The belt platform can raise or lower from 0 to 90 degrees to accommodate almost any project.
- The sanding table adjusts from 0-45° for smoothing out beveled edges.
- A powerful 4.3-amp motor provides plenty of power to sand down all your woodworking projects.
- Quick-release tension lever lets you quickly change out sandpaper grits for different projects.
- There is a safety switch that prevents accidental starts.
- Comes with: 1pc hex key, 1pc miter gauge, 1pc sanding disc, and 1pc sanding belt.
- The combination sander is exceptionally versatile.
- The belt can be changed easily.
- The table is tiltable.
- Adjustable belt platform.
- It comes with a powerful motor.
- The central screw of the belt keeps falling out.
- Some packages ships with damaged parts.
5. WEN 6502T 4.3-Amp Belt Disc Combination Sander
If you’re looking for an affordable sander that provides excellent performance for light-duty jobs, this is the tool for you. It has both a disc sander and a belt sander, which makes the already desirable price point even sweeter.
The 6-inch disc is perfect for shaping and smoothing edges, and the 4-inch-wide belt is there to perform the jobs that it can’t. This sander also features a super-sturdy cast iron base that limits safety issues by keeping the sander in place while you work.
As for the guts, it’s got a 4.3-amp motor that can turn the disc at 3,600 RPM. That helps to make quick work of any project you’re likely to perform in a home shop.
You get a 2-year extended warranty along with an excellent build quality with this belt disc sander that is not expected at this price tag. It even offers a highly sturdy cast iron base for high stability. All of these things result in a high value for money with this belt disc sander.
Overall, this tool is excellent for the price. But you need to bear in mind that it’s not an industrial-grade piece of machinery. Performance is enough for the average hobbyist but not for professional settings.
- The electric motor power rating of 4.3 amps.
- Sanding disc size of 6 inches.
- Sanding belt size of 36-inch x 4 inch.
- It features a beveling worktable design.
- It has an adaptable sander with both a spindle and belt.
- Onboard storage for both belt and spindle sander accessories.
- It comes with pre-drilled holes for simple mounting.
- Lightweight & compact for easy transportation and storage.
- 2-year long warranty.
- Great build quality.
- it has an affordable price tag for a high value for money.
- Large size sanding disc and belt.
- Offers cast iron base for sturdy build quality.
- The motor could have been more powerful.
- Slightly on the larger and heavier side.
When using the best bench disc sander machine, it is essential to make safety your number one priority. By putting on goggles and a mask, you will be able to protect your eyes and airways from debris caused by the shaving of wood and other materials.
Make sure nothing baggy is hanging from your body, as this may get stuck in the motor. Provide your workshop with the best tabletop belt sander to get the best quality unit worth your investment. Happy woodworking.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You: