The number of tools needed in a woodshop can hardly be exhausted. These tools help to provide a comfortable, stress-less, comfortable, and, most times, accident-free woodworking environment. One of those tools happens to be the benchtop drill press.
The drill press is more like a tabletop with a drill and a clamp attached to it, and it is to used create holes in a work material/piece, whether wood or metal. It makes holes with the help of a motor, and each drill press is made with engines of different horsepower. Although the drill press relies on arm strength, they provide precision and accuracy when in use.
Like many woodwork tools, the drill press is an investment, hence the need to pick the right one. This might be not easy, but knowing the factors to consider and having an idea of the trusted manufacturers could make it easier. Manufactures ranging from Shop Fox to Bilt Hard to Jet and so on. And factors ranging from the depth stop, weight, horsepower, size, and your budget.
Well, to help reduce your stress, here is a review containing a list of the top 5 best drill press any woodworker could ever ask for the best assistants offering the best woodwork experience and, surprisingly, quite affordable.
Our Favorite Choice Of Table Top Drill Press Summary:
5 Best Benchtop Drill Press Review In Details:
1. Jet JWDP-12 Variable Speed Drill Press 12″
We start our list of the best benchtop drill press with the powerful, quite dynamic drill press from Jet, the Jet JWDP-12 drill press. Every woodworker with great eyes for quality woodworking tools would testify to the works of JET. Since their breakthrough in the woodworking industry, Jet has become one of the most trusted brands. They do produce the best drill presses and give long years of warranty, which is five years.
The Jet JWDP-12 is designed to be easy to use for all levels and experience for woodworkers, be you an expert, a beginner, or DIYer. This benchtop drill press comprises a motor phase and a 5 amp induction motor with 1/2 horsepower carrying 115 volts. The power it exudes makes it powerful enough to perform heavy-duty tasks anywhere. With a variable speed drive system, this induction motor moves at a speed range of 530 to 3100 Rounds Per Minute, quite impressive, don’t you agree?.
This benchtop drill press is also made up of features that you might not find in other drill presses. This includes its large paddle switch. This paddle switch is designed to be big enough for you to see and easily use while working. It provides easy shut-off and lock-out protection, thereby enhancing safety. This it does by preventing accidental startups.
Thanks to the built-in LED feature, which illuminates the workspace, extra safety is provided. You can carry out your woodworking task at any time, being reasonably assured that the chances of encountering a workshop accident have been reduced.
Also, a roller extension is provided if your benchtop is not large enough to hold your workpiece. It is retractable, allows for adjustments, and provides support. Beneath this drill press is a stable base design that provides a sturdy stance when positioned on a benchtop.
The durable base design prevents jerky movements and allows the user to use the drill press comfortably. Ensuring more comfort and maximum control of this best drill press is the oversized knob. The knob is made large enough to be held and with a user-friendly feature.
Did I forget to mention that this drill press has a laser? Well, it does. It is an X-shaped XACTA LaserTM which provides and ensures accuracy when it is being used.
- The Jet JWDP-12 Drill Press comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Weighs 85 pounds.
- Laser and Built-in LED light for precision and to illuminate the workspace, respectively.
- 1/2 HP 5-amp induction motor with a voltage of 115.
- The motor moves at a speed of 530 to 3100 Round per minute (RPM).
- The engine uses a variable speed drive system.
- It comes with a paddle switch, a linear scale, and a retractable roller extension.
- Five years warranty.
- Easy to use.
- Compact design.
- Powerful and effective.
- Great value for the money.
- Built-in LED lamp and laser.
- Rubberized handle.
- Quite heavy.
2. BILT HARD 8 Inch 5-Speed Benchtop Drill Press with Work Light, Drill Vise & Bit Set
The Bilt Hard 8 inches drill press comprises a 1/3 induction motor engineered to control a five-speed system. It moves at a speed range of 750, 1100, 1500, 2100, and 3200 Rounds Per Minute with 120 volts. Do not let the size of this tabletop drill press deceive you because, despite its smallness, it is mighty.
This power is enough to drill into materials of different types. The chuck bit can travel up to 2 inches and can accommodate various sizes of bits ranging from 1/16 to 1/4 inches. With the help of the adjustable depth scale and stop, the chuck creates holes of the same depth with great precision and accuracy.
This drill press is made of cast iron to ensure durability. Its base is also made of cast iron and is designed with holes. These holes provide a stable and sturdy clamping system for the drill press when attached to a bench or table.
Weighing a scale of 22 pounds, this benchtop drill press can easily be referred to as the most lightweight amongst its peers. Bilt Hard provides one of the best customer services to ensure that you enjoy your drill press.
- The Bilt Hard 8 inches Drill Press comes with a 90 days warranty.
- Weighs 22 pounds.
- 1/3 HP 2.4 amp induction motor with 120 volts.
- The five-speed system, motor moves at 750, 1100, 1500, 2100, and 3200 RPM.
- 1/2 inch chuck capacity.
- The work table rotates at 360° and bends at 45° both left and right.
- Adjustable depth scale and stop.
- Easy to use.
- Very portable.
- Compact design.
- Not so great customer service.
3. Shop Fox W1667 8 – 1/2 Inch Oscillating Table Top Drill Press
Shop fox, popularly known for producing quality, durable and robust woodwork tools, makes it to our list of best benchtop drill press with the Shop Fox W1667. They are one of the most trusted manufacturers in the woodwork industry. They aim at producing durable, powerful and quality tools just like their motto read “Built To Last,” as well as good customer service and reliability.
The Shop Fox W1667 is an oscillating benchtop drill press with a compact design used as a drill press and an oscillating sander. Two in one, right? Who does not like that? Not only is it versatile and can be used for different drilling and sanding operations, but it is also powerful.
With its 1/2 HP motor exuding a voltage of 110 volts, this benchtop drill press performs its task at a speed range of 620 to 3100 rounds per minute using a five-speed system. Its oscillation spindle produces a smooth finish as well as long-lasting abrasives with precision. It is compatible with sanding drums about 4 -4 1/2 inches long and 1 or 2 inches in diameter.
With the help of the easy-to-read depth scale, you can adjust the drill chuck to make identical holes of the same depth on the workpiece comfortably. With this, you do not have to worry about constantly changing the depth stop. All you have to do is set your desired depth on the depth scale, which puts the depth stop to create holes at the set depth.
To ensure safety and prevent accidental startups, the W1667 comes with a safety on and off switch. This switch has been designed with an oversized paddle to ensure safety over other controls. For additional and sure safety, The users can also lock it using its removable key.
The Shop Fox W1667 also comes with an extension table if the workspace is not enough to accommodate the workpiece. This table provides additional support and can be tilted at different angles to allow the user to sand and drill through workpieces comfortably and efficiently.
- The Shop Fox W1667 comes with a two years warranty.
- Weighs 50.9 pounds.
- 1/2 HP, 5A single phase motor with 110 volts.
- The table can rotate 360° and can tilt 90° left and right.
- 1/2 inch oscillating spindle for accuracy.
- 1/2 inches drill chuck.
- Made of quality metal.
- 7 inches by 7 inches square table.
- Dust port for connecting to a dust collector.
- 2 1/4 inches table dust port and 8 1/2 inches swing.
- Five spindle speed system ranging from 620-3100 Rounds Per Minute.
- 23 inches high, 17″ deep, and 7 3/4 inches wide.
- It has a sturdy cast iron base.
- Easy to use.
- Versatile can be used as a sanding device and a drilling device.
- Dust port allows for connection to a dust collector.
- Quite heavy.
4. Grizzly Industrial G0925 – 8 Inche Table Top Drill Press
Pretty much almost all lists of the best drill press are not complete without the Grizzly industrial G0925. Founded with the sole purpose of producing innovative and powerful power tools, Grizzly industrial has grown to become a well-known, trusted, and reliable manufacturer in the woodwork industry.
The G0925 is a versatile and compact drill press with quite impressive performances. It can be used for both heavy and light duty tasks but most suitable for light-duty applications by home workers and DIYers. It does not take much space in the woodshop and has enough power to perform different functions on different types of workpieces.
This best drill press is powered by a 1/3 HP 2.3 amps single phase motor carrying about 120 volts. The engine is powerful enough to control the chuck, engineered with a five-spindle speed system ranging from 740 – 3140 RPM. The chuck can accommodate drill bits as small as 1/16″ to 1/2 inches and can drill as deep as 1/2 inches through workpieces of every texture.
Contributing to the effectiveness of the drill press is the double T slot feature which is about 5/8 inches and 4 3/8 inches and is located at the center of the drill press. For versatility, It can also be rotated up to 360° like the table. But the table, unlike the T slot feature, can also be tilted up to 45°.
This drill press is one of the most affordable. Do not worry; its price does not affect its quality because it comprises many features that definitely make up for the price. Little wonder why the grizzly industrial G0925 is referred to as one of the best drill presses.
- The Grizzly Industrial G0925 comes with a year warranty.
- Weight 36 pounds.
- 1/3 HP, 2.3 amp single phase motor with 120 volts.
- The motor moves at five spindle speed ranges, 740 – 3140 Rounds Per Minute.
- Can drill as far as 1/2 inches deep.
- jT33 keyed drill chuck can accommodate 1/2 inches to 1/16″ drill bits.
- Table rotates at 360° and tilts up to 45° left and right.
- Table height lock for versatility and ease of usage.
- 8 inches swing, 2 inches spindle travel.
- 23 1/2 inches high, 9″ Wide, and 12 1/2 inches deep.
- Adjustable table extension.
- Portable and compact design.
- Versatile. the table height lock increases versatility.
- Easy to use.
- Most suitable for light and small applications.
- No LED to illuminate the workspace.
5. WEN 4208T 2.3-Amp 8 Inch 5 Speed Benchtop Drill Press
Wen 4208T is one quality drill press that promises affordability and excellent performance, and so far, it never fails. Wen has kept up to their words and for years has made available quality work tools durable, easy to use, and affordable.
The Wen 4208T is targeted mainly at woodworkers or DIYers who seek a very affordable yet reliable drill press in the workshop. The price anyways does not reduce the quality of this benchtop drill press as the features make up for it.
This best drill press for woodworking is made up of a 1/3 HP 2.3 amp induction motor which might be considered not so strong but still manages to control its five variable speed system. The motor’s power might not be enough to produce a torque strong enough to bore through-hardened steel, but it is strong enough to drill metals and wood that are less thick than 1/2 inches.
It is designed with five spindle speeds of 740, 1100, 1530, 2100, and 3140 RPM, which allows you to adjust to different types of materials. For easy carriage and versatility, the 4208T is made with a compact design. Additionally, the spindle chuck can accommodate bits ranging from sizes 1/16 inches to 1/2 inches.
The height of this tool’s table can be adjusted and can be tilted up to 45° both left and right to ensure you drill comfortably and accurately. The spindle can travel as deep as 1/2 inches, and with the help of the linear easy to read depth scale, you can adjust your spindle to drill identical holes of the same set depth.
You also no need to worry about the tool-making jerky movement. This is because the base is designed with holes for clamping tightly onto a bench or tabletop. Thanks to the cast iron material the floor is made with, durability and accurate drilling are assured.
- The Wen 4208T comes with a two-year warranty.
- Weighs 34.2 pounds.
- 1/3 HP, 2.3 amp induction motor.
- Five spindle speeds; 740, 1100, 1530, 2100, and 3140 RPM.
- 6 1/2″ by 6 1/2 inches adjustable table and bevels up to 45° left and right.
- Spindle travels up to 2 inches deep.
- 1/2 inches jT33 keyed spindle chuck can accommodate bits of sizes 1/16 inches to 1/2”.
- Linear readable death scale and stop.
- Sturdy base made with cast iron.
- User-friendly features.
- Easy to use.
- Very affordable, great value for the money.
- Good performance.
- No LED feature.
- Most suitable for light applications.
The need to take care of your tools cannot be over-emphasized. Maintaining the drill press isn’t hard as far as you lubricate the gears and blow off every dust particle to prevent debris from forming. Also, do not forget “Safety First.”
Before you start using your drill press, make sure that the start and stop button is within your reach, as well as an emergency stop button. Wear your gloves, safety glasses, and apron. You might also want to remove your pieces of jewelry and tuck in any loose cloth or hair.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You: