Like most woodwork tools, be it a power or non-power tool, picking the right benchtop planer can be difficult, stressful, and even time-consuming. Most times, the descriptions are given to most products by their manufacturers, which sometimes might not fit the effectiveness of the tool.
Plus, many brands now produce their new models of benchtop planes. But after much consideration, comparisons and research, I have put together a review article showcasing the five best benchtop planers to help you on your search for a thickness planer.
Whether as a beginner or a professional, you might want to reduce the thickness of your wood material during a woodwork task. Hence, the need for a benchtop planer is also known as a thickness plane because that is what they are used for.
To help understand if and why you might need a thickness planer for the woodwork task at hand, you need to know what a benchtop planer is and a couple of other things too. The different types of wood planers include Benchtop wood planers (or thickness planers), heavy-duty wood planers, and hand-operated wood planers.
While the main use of a thickness planer is to reduce the thickness of wood material, its other use is to make the surface of a material smooth after it has been cut. Well, this is made possible by passing the material through the cutter head of the planer. With a benchtop planer, your material promises to have a smooth finish and uniform thickness.
Our Favorite Choice Of Thickness Planer Summary:
5 Best Benchtop Planer Review In Details:
1. Makita 2012NB 12-inch Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp
First on this best wood planer review list is the Makita 2012NB 12-inch planer. The Makita brand is well known for the production of quality and durable power tools. There is always a new product with advanced and even much better-engineered designs and features.
This planer is regarded as the best benchtop planer because of its unique and amazing features starting from its compact, which comes with less weight. This allows and enables the user’s easiness to move this benchtop planer around his workspace or anywhere. It is most suitable for most woodwork jobs and well-recommended for most woodworkers.
The Makita 2012 benchtop planer makes a noise of just about 83dB at a speed of 8,500 RPM, and because of this, it could easily be regarded as the best benchtop planer with the least noise in its class (the least noisemaker). With this less noise feature, you have little or no worries about disturbing the people around you.
Its source of power is via a corded electric source, and it has an L.E.D. light to indicate to the user that it has been plugged and power is flowing through it.
Thanks to the 4-post design, the machine has strong durability, which prevents it from wearing out and stability when the users’ grip is on the handle. This benchtop planer can accommodate wood materials as thick as 6-3/32 inches, 12″ wide, and as deep as 1/8 inches.
The blade system has been designed so that it can easily be changed and adjusted even for beginners. It also comes with table extensions in case the work surface is not large enough for the task at hand.
- The Makita 2012 has a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- It weighs 61.9 lbs., quite lightweight.
- Moves at a speed of 8,500 rounds per minute (R.P.M.).
- Bulb voltage of 220 volts.
- 30.35 inches long, 19.02 inches wide, and 15.79 inches high.
- Produces just 83dB amount of noise, low noise.
- Has two knives.
- It comes with a planer blade set, two magnetic holders, a blade wrench, a key, and a toolbox.
- L.E.D. light to show that it has been plugged.
- Low noise.
- Easy to operate.
- Great value for the money.
- Good thickness capacity.
- Durable and effective.
- It can take lots and all types of wood.
- No dusting hood, hence the need to buy one separately.
2. POWERTEC PL1252 15 Amp 2-Blade Benchtop Thickness Planer
This thickness planer is most suitable for beginners because it is beginner-friendly. If you need a benchtop planer that has been designed particularly to revamp old wood, then your search has just been made easier because the Powertec PL1252 is for you.
This thickness planer results in a smooth and fine woodwork finish. It is manufactured with a 12.5 inches planer style of design. As the name implies, this thickness plane could not have made it to this review list if not for its effectiveness and the amount of power it exudes.
Talking about power, it merges its 15-amp motor with its unique 2 blade design system to produce deep cuts into the wood material of any type in use. Its two-blade cutter head moves at a speed of 9,400 rounds per minute and produces 18,800 cuts per minute, making its cutting process fast and smooth.
It is also made with quality stainless steel for precision and accuracy. The Powertec PL1252 has a very sturdy, heavy-duty base, which provides a stable, comfortable, and non-jerky work surface for the user, which can hold plane boards as thick as 6 inches and as wide as 12.5 inches.
It does not require a blade gauge because it comes with an E.Z. blade replacement with an index pin set up and a spindle lock that allows the user to change the blade safely. Thanks to the pro-quality roller design, the roller system lasts longer than the former and other models. It might please you to know that this benchtop planer is versatile due to the side-mounted handles, which allow the user to carry it anywhere.
- The Powertec PL1252 thickness planer gives a one-year limited manufacturer warranty.
- Weighs 63.3 lbs.
- Speed of 9,400 rpm and 18,800 cuts per minute.
- Power of 15 amps and 120 volts with 60 hertz.
- Dimension of 24 inches by 18″ by 14 inches.
- Can support plane boards about 12.5″ wide and 6 inches thick.
- Cutter head made with quality stainless steel.
- 4 column design for stability as well as precision.
- It comes with blade replacement with an index pin set up.
- Easy to use.
- Not suitable for heavy duty woodworking application.
3. DEWALT DW735 Thickness Planer, Two speed, 13- inch
Obviously, there has to be a model from Dewalt on this list of best benchtop planers. Not just because of the brand’s popularity but also because they produce high-quality and durable power tools, which always makes it to the top best list of any power tool.
And just as expected, the Dewalt thickness planer model DW735 makes it to the list of the top best benchtop planer. It is designed with a 2-speed planer style of 13 inches.
Powered by a 15-amp motor and moving at a speed of 20,000 rpm, this thickness plane can cut through wider materials with ease. It has a cutter head that moves at a speed of 10,000 rpm, which allows the knife to live 30% longer than the other normal knives and allows the user to change the knife easily.
It might please you to know that the knives do not necessarily need to be sharpened before use for the first time, and they are razor-sharp. Still, on the speed feature of this thickness planer, it has a two-speed gearbox.
This gearbox allows the user to change the feed speed in order to optimize cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI to the user’s satisfaction. This thickness planer uses the corded electric source of power.
The size and amount of power this planer exudes give it the ability to cut through wood materials of different sizes, especially very thick ones, and results in finely shaped cuts. Because of its solid aluminum base, this benchtop planer stays put and rigid, avoiding every form of shakiness when in use.
Also, amongst its features is a fan-assisted chip ejector, which helps eliminate debris and avoids excess chips from destroying the surface of the material in use. Despite this thick planer’s size, weight, and cost, it is a great tool for both professional and non-professional woodwork applications.
- The Dewalt thickness planer gives three years limited warranty, a year of free service, and 90 days money-back guarantee.
- Weighs 92 lbs.
- Speed of 20,000 RPM and 15 amp.
- Cutter head moves at 10,000 rpm.
- Two speed gearboxes that allow perfect cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI.
- It comes with a dust hose adapter, a 13-inch thickness two speed planer with a three-knife cutter head, a dust removal chute, and a blade change T-wrench.
- Yellow in color.
- 19-3/4 inches aluminium base.
- Size of 24 inches by 22″ by 19 inches.
- High-quality benchtop planer.
- Easy to use.
- Easy to change, especially the knife.
- Good value for the money.
- Can handle thick woods and woods of any type.
- Quite loud, hence the need for a good hearing protection gear.
- Not much of a lightweight.
4. Delta Power Tools 22-590X Benchtop Planer
The Delta 22-590X benchtop planer is one of the newest planers produced by Delta. It has been designed with features that most times results in an extra smooth woodwork finish.
It has been reported to be very durable, effective, and well-performing. This thickness planer is made with high-quality metal. If possible, it could be referred to as the thickness planer with the longest warranty.
This thickness planer has been designed with a three-knife cutter head which provides a smooth finish and long-lasting blade life for the knife. It also allows the user to change the blade when necessary easily.
With a power of 15 amp and 120 volts, the three-blade cutter head of this thickness planer cuts up to 18, 800 – 30,000 per minute. Its depth stop has been designed to be adjustable such that it results in an accurate and repeatable cutting depth.
The Delta 22-590X benchtop planer has a dust port of 4 inches, which helps eliminate debris and dust chips from the cutter head, but it has to be used with the dust collector. So, you might need to get a dust collector should in case one is not included in the features of the Delta 22-590X.
Adjustments to the cutter head are made possible by the big cutter head height adjustment handle feature, and it has a ring that allows for large and small adjustments. The cutter head also has a lock which enhances its stability and helps to minimize snipe.
- The Delta 22-590X thickness planer gives a warranty of 5 years.
- Weighs 82.8 pounds.
- 15 amps and 120 volts to power its 3-blade cutter head.
- Produces 18,800 – 30,000 cuts per minute.
- It has a three-knife cutter head.
- It comes with blades and installation tools, two knives.
- 4 inches dust port for removing debris and dust chips.
- 21-5/8 inches by 23-5/8″ by 20-1/8 inches for its dimensions.
- Cuts at a maximum of 3/32 inches deep.
- Very long warranty period.
- Provides the finest and smooth finishes.
- Easy to use.
- Quite loud.
5. CRAFTSMAN CMEW320 Thickness Planer, 15-Amp
Though not a popular brand yet, Craftsman makes one of the best and affordable power tools in the woodwork industry. It is most likely because of its affordability.
One of these tools is the 15-amp benchtop planer. This thickness planer can easily be referred to as the most affordable amongst the listed best benchtop planers on this review list. It is also the lightest thickness planer on the list.
The blade of this thickness planer is made with high-quality carbon steel and is double-edged. The carbon steel feature ensures that the blade lasts longer and stays razor sharp.
With a power of 15 amps, the cutter head moves at a speed of 8,000 rounds per minute and produces 16,000 cuts per minute. This enables the planer to handle materials of any type, even the most demanding woodwork applications.
It has a four-column design which allows for stability and therefore provides a smooth and accurate finish. This thickness planner features two knives that are easy to change and reversible because it is double-edged. Its Poly-V cutter head is known for its précised and good cutting depths.
- The Craftsman benchtop planer gives a 3 years warranty.
- Speed of 8,000 rpm and cuts of 16,000 per minute.
- Weighs 61.2 pounds.
- It comes with easy to change 2 knives.
- Double-edged knife made of high carbon steel.
- Can cut through wood as wide as 12 inches.
- Dimensions of 23.5 inches by 17.5″ by 15.4 inches.
- Cutter head made of poly-V for removing stock effectively.
- Very and most affordable.
- Easy to use.
- Easy to change knives.
- Not so fast cutting speed.
- Might need an external dust collector.
While your budget might not be enough for the benchtop planers listed above, you might want to purchase other benchtop planers that fit your budget. It is fine, but there are a couple of features and factors you should look out for. These factors and features include;
Cutterhead: The strength of the cutter head determines how smooth and fine the finishing on a material would be. If the blades on the cutter head are hard, woodworkers can use the blades for a long period before the next need for the user to sharpen them. The cutter head has a cutting width that determines how deep or wide it can cut through a work material.
The nature and size of the project at hand: How thick you want a material to be, how much wood you need to plane, and how long you might work on a woodwork project should be considered.
Power of the motor: the motor of the benchtop planers determines how much cuts and speed it produces. This is because it controls the overall power of the benchtop planer.
About (reviews): Asking people and searching the internet for recommendations would expose you more to the type of thickness planer that will suit your budget and the task at hand and even prepare you for the cons.
Now that you know most things about the best benchtop planers, also known as thickness planers, your next search for a benchtop planer should be stress-less and less time-consuming after introspecting and realizing that you probably need to do a few woodwork projects monthly or weekly, you do not need to purchase an expensive thickness planer but an affordable yet effective benchtop planer. I would recommend you check the Craftsman Benchtop planer.
Also, do not forget to practice taking care of your thickness planers because having them is not enough to guarantee a wonderful and easy woodwork experience. Maintaining them in good shape keeps you enjoying the tool (long-lasting) and the money you spent getting it.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You: