Cordless nail gun are one of the most innovative inventions in the woodwork industry. Whether as a beginner or a professional DIYer, nailing is necessary to join materials together in any woodwork application.
It has not only made nailing an easy task in woodwork but also an enjoyable and time-saving experience. It is used to drive nails into wood or some other material. This tool has been reported by many as one of the best assistants a woodworker can have.
As the name implies, nail guns are shaped like guns and can be held easily, just like guns. These nail guns though shaped alike, are of different types and are engineered with different firing mechanisms.
The types of nail guns include:
- Framing Nailers, which are used for heavy-duty constructions.
- Finishing Nailers, which are the best all-round nailers.
- Roofing Nailers, which used aborted nails with big heads.
- Brad Nailers, which are used for lighter duty nailing etc.
As for the techniques of firing, there is sequential firing and dual contact firing. The dual contact firing requires the user to hold the trigger down while pressing the nose to the work surface.
But for the sequential firing, the trigger has to be released first before the user can fire the nail, and for the trigger, to function the nose has to be pressed into the work. At least now you have an idea of what a nail gun looks like, the types and the different firing mechanisms they are engineered with.
The most important feature of a cordless nail gun is mobility. It is a battery powered nail gun with no messy wire or hose. You also don’t need an air compressor for it to work.
Well, these ideas alone are not enough to help you select the best nail gun for your woodwork projects. So, here’s a list of the top 5 best cordless nail guns to help you in your search.
Our Favorite Choice Of Cordless Nail Gun Summary:
5 Best Cordless Nail Gun Review In Details:
1. DEWALT DCN680D1 20V MAX Cordless Nail Gun
The first and premium item on our review list is the DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Brad Nailer, model DCN680D1. Dewalt is popularly known for the production of high-quality, durable power and hand tools for woodworking projects.
This Dewalt model has been built to be durable for ease and power. It is little wonder why this Dewalt model is regarded as one of the best cordless nail guns in the woodwork industry.
It has amazing features, which qualifies it as one of the best tools a woodworker could ever have. These features include its adjustable belt hook, which allows the user to adjust it to the right or left and his/her satisfaction.
Still, this cordless gun has an adjustable tool-free depth on adjustability, which allows the nails to sink into the material accurately. This cordless nail gun has a maximum voltage of 20 volts and a normal voltage of 18 volts.
It also has a battery power of 100 per cent long-lasting, and it can be used with all Dewalt 20v batteries. The battery is designed with a power outlet/socket, which allows the user to charge it in a vehicle in case of an emergency or a far outdoor woodwork project.
The LED lamp of this Dewalt model has two bulbs that perform two other functions and illuminate the workspace. The right light flashes continuously to show that an instrument is jammed, while the left light flashes four times to show that the battery is low.
Because of this, the LED lamp can be referred to as multi-functional. The LED functions as a charging or need-to-be-charged indicator also.
Though not much of a lightweight and weighing 5 pounds, this nail gun could be referred to as the least heavy cordless nail gun on this review list. Thanks to its micro nose, the user can see clearly enough to drive the nails accurately into the work material.
With its brushless motor design, users can drive nails in as fast as 1200 nails per charge and at a clean speed.
- The Dewalt DCN680D1 has three years limited warranty, a year of free service and 90 days money-back guarantee.
- Weighs 5 lbs.
- Can drive 1200 nails per charge.
- Made of plastic.
- Multi-functional LED light for workspace illumination.
- Battery-powered power source.
- Adjustable tool-free depth.
- 20 volts, maximum battery voltage.
- 11.8 inches high, 10.3″ long and 3.7 inches wide.
- Can work with all Dewalt 20v max batteries.
- It comes with a charger, kitbag, DCB203-2.0AH Battery and DCN680-Brad Nailer.
- Includes a bag kit for easy carriage.
- Easy to use.
- High speed.
- Tool-free depth adjustability.
- Long-lasting battery life.
- Bright enough LED light.
- The plastic bag might not be good enough to protect the tool.
2. PORTER-CABLE PCC790LA 20V MAX Cordless Nail Gun
The porter cable PCC790LA, 100% battery powered nail gun, cancels the need for a hose or compressor. Coupled with its weight, it can be moved from one place to another with ease.
It performs in a sequential firing mode which allows it to drive about 1300 nails per charge with a power of 20 volts. Because of this, it could easily be referred to as the fastest cordless nail gun in its class.
It has been designed to accept 18 gauge nails from 5/8 inches to 2 inches, and with its magazine, it can hold about 100 nails. The tool-free release lever and depth adjustment features of this cordless nail gun contribute to the increased productivity of this nail gun.
Its 20 volts Lithium-ion battery has a power of 1.5 Ah, which gives the battering a long-lasting runtime after charging. With its multi-functional LED light, an error can be detected.
It is also bright enough to illuminate the whole workspace making it possible for the user to work anytime, including night time and dark spaces. If you are looking for the best cordless nail gun option at a very affordable price, then the porter cable PCC790LA is the one for you.
- The porter cable PCC790LA has a three-year warranty, a year service and 90 days money-back guarantee.
- Weighs 5.9 pounds.
- Voltage of about 20 volts.
- Up to 1300 nails per charge.
- Can accommodate 100 nails, 18-gauge brad nail about 5/8 inches up to 2 inches long.
- 11 inches high, 12.5 inches long and 3.9 inches wide.
- It comes with a battery and a charger.
- Built-in LED light to brighten workspace.
- Easy to handle.
- Multi-functional LED light illuminates the workspace.
- Easy to adjust.
- Trigger lock to increase safety.
- The battery has to be bought separately.
3. MAKITA XNB02Z 18V LXT Cordless Nail Gun
Makita corporations first produced their category of 18 volts Lithium-ion tools in 2005, and now they are known as the largest producers of 18 volts cordless tools in the world. They provide users with tools of great performance, compact and power.
They are also known for their innovative battery and motor production. One of these tools designed with the 18v Lithium-ion technology is the Makita LXT Straight Finish Nailer, model XNB02Z.
This battery powered nail gun is most suitable for crowning and baseboard moulding installation, trimming, flooring, and other woodwork tasks. It is most times in use because it has the fastest charging batteries, which allows it to spend less time charging and most times in use.
It has been engineered to drive 16 gauge nails of about 1 to 2-1/2 inches into work materials. It can hold 110 nails stored in its rear lock and load magazine, and with its power, it drives up to 1000 finish nails per charge.
With its user-made friendly rubberized handle, you can hold on to the tool firmly and comfortably while in use. Its rubber designed bumpers allow the user to work on a material without damaging the tool or the work surface.
With its dry fire lockout feature, the possibility of driving blanks and damaging the work surface is highly prevented. It has a compact centre height and a short nose which allows the user to see clearly when driving nails, especially in tight spaces and fastening spots.
Seeing is even made more possible by the built-in LED light, which illuminates the workspace and indicates when the tool is being charged. Back to this cordless nail gun’s battery feature, this model could easily be referred to as the cordless nail gun with the fastest charging ability, though the battery is bought differently from the tool.
It is compatible with any Makita 18 volts Lithium-ion charger or battery. It is convenient to use because of its cordless feature, which cancels the need for a hose or compressor and the stress of using them.
This cordless nail gun comes packed in a plastic, fine-looking case which does not only keep it looking attractive in your workshop or truck but also protects the tool.
- The Makita XNB02Z Nailer gives three years limited warranty.
- Weighs 8.21 lbs.
- A voltage of 18 volts, powered by an 18volts lithium-ion battery system.
- 11-5/8 inches long, 4-1/4″ wide and 12-1/2 inches high.
- Can drive 1000 finish nails per charge, 16-gauge finish nails of 1 to 2-1/2 inches.
- Ergonomic rubber made handle.
- Built-in LED lamp above the nose.
- Compatible with Makita batteries and chargers.
- It comes with safety glasses, two no-mar tips and a belt clip.
- Charges fast can fully charge within about 25 minutes.
- High quality.
- User-friendly handle design.
- Very fast at driving nails.
- Not much of a lightweight.
- Battery and charger are sold differently.
4. Metabo HPT NR1890DR Battery Nail Gun
Of course, there has to be a Metabo woodwork product on this review list. This company is well- known for the manufacturing of quality power tools for most professional users and also beginners.
They produce tools with the best interests of metal artisans and woodworkers, providing them with tools like the Metabo HPT Cordless Framing Nailer Kit, model NR1890DR. This Metabo model can be used for all kinds of woodwork construction framing applications but is most suitable for punch-out jobs that do not require hoses or tanks.
Sub-flooring, wall sheathing and roof decking inclusive. This Metabo model has many amazing features, starting from its cordless feature, which provides cordless freedom of 18 volts.
It has a battery Amp hour of 3.0Ah, which drives nails as much as 400 nails per charge. It collects plastic collated 21 degree round head nails of about 2 inches up to 3-1/2 inches.
Also, there is a trigger lock switch at the side of the tool on the handle, which helps prevent accidental firing when the tool is inactive. The handle is made of rubber and a user-friendly design that allows the user’s grip to be comfortable and firm.
This cordless nail gun has a pneumatic-like feel because of its unique spring air feature, which increases its driving speed. Because of its brushless motor feature, the battery lasts long after every charge.
Its durability is increased. Also, there is little need for the user to carry out routine maintenance. It has also been engineered to automatically shut down after 30 minutes of not being in use.
Thanks to its hard claw tip, the nose is wear-resistant, and there is little or no slippage when in use at an angle or when toenailing. There is little need to refill the air tank of this cordless, all you have to do is pull the trigger, and the nail will be shot into the material in use.
Also, the user can switch from sequential mode to bump fire modes according to his preference.
- The Metabo NR1890DR has a lifetime warranty for the tool and two years warranty for the battery.
- A year charger warranty.
- Weighs 10.8 pounds.
- User-friendly rubber made handle.
- Drives 400 nails per charge of about 2 inches to 3-1/2 inches.
- Can hold up to 37 nails.
- dimensions of 13.5 inches by 5.38″ by 13.5 inches.
- It comes with a compact 3.0Ah Lithium-ion battery, a fast charger, safety glasses and a contractor bag.
- Durable and well balanced.
- Finely sized rafter hook for storage.
- Easy to use.
- Not much of a lightweight.
- Hold fewer nails in its class.
5. CRAFTSMAN CMCN618C1 20V Cordless Nail Gun
Do you know that in 2007, the Craftsman was given the highest score by Harris interactive for expectations and trust? This proves that Craftsman does not disappoint when it comes to providing the best line of woodwork tools for woodworkers.
Their tools always meet the expectations of their users and perform almost excellently and also efficiently. So dear woodworkers, you can definitely trust this brand.
Starting from its weight of 7.64 pounds and cordless feature, which prevents the use of a hose or compressor, thereby allowing easy and tireless carriage for the user. This battery operated nail gun uses a system of 20 volts maximum.
With this power voltage, it drives nails at a speed of 420 nails per charge. It has the capacity to contain about 100, 18 gauge brad nails in its magazine from sizes 5/8 inches up to 2 inches.
Thanks to the motor, which has been designed to adapt to any weather, users can use this battery-operated nail gun in house and outhouse any time of the year. Its handle is made of a contoured over mould handle which promotes comfort and allows the user to use it for a long period.
This cordless is most times regarded as the best cordless nail gun for around the house use. This does not cancel the fact that it can still be used outside the house.
- The Craftsman CMCN6181C1 has a 1-year warranty.
- Weighs 7.64 pounds.
- 13.37 inches long, 4.49″ wide and 11.49 inches high.
- Can accommodate nails of 1 to 2 inches long, collated 18 gauge brad nails.
- Battery power amp of 20 volts.
- Can drive 420 nails per charge, can hold up to 100 nails.
- Depth adjustment is tool-free.
- Red in colour.
- Comes with a 20 volts Lithium-ion charger, 100 brad nails of 1 inch,1-1/4 inches and 2 inches each, a 20 volts battery of the same model and one 18GA Nailer.
- Well- balanced.
- Easy adjustments.
- Easy to use.
- Not much of a lightweight.
Knowing the top 5 best cordless nail guns is not enough. It is also necessary that you know how to care for them. The need to pamper and care for your nail guns cannot be overemphasized.
If your nail gun is used very frequently, you need to oil it to enhance its efficiency. Regular cleaning of the nail gun is advised to remove dust and debris, which could clog the nail gun. This should be done with a soft and clean rag.
If you require a nail gun with the best performance notwithstanding the price, then the DEWALT DCN680D1 is the one for you, but if you need the best nail gun at a very affordable price, then the PORTER-CABLE PCC790LA is the one for you.
I hope this article was helpful, and if you need more information concerning the cordless nail gun, do not hesitate to do more research. Happy woodworking!
DIY Ideas & Projects For You: