One major issue woodworkers face almost all the time in their workshop is sawdust. After cutting, sawing, or working with wood materials, wood chips and dust particles fall off and pollute the air in the environment.
It is not news the number of breathing hazards this causes to woodworkers who might be working without the use of safety gears such as a nose mask. But with the sawdust collector system, you can enjoy working in pollutant-free, good air quality, and an ideal workspace.
Dust collection systems are specifically designed to collect dust particles to prevent hazardous effects on woodworkers and woodworking itself and promote a neat working environment. It also ensures an enjoyable work experience. The collected sawdust can be recycled into chipboard, MDF board, or used as compost for organic fertilizer.
There are different brands that create different dust collection systems. All of them aim to produce the best and be well recognized though not all of them create the best in the interest of woodworkers.
Trust me, I know how stressful and confusing it could be to get the best dust collection for wood shops. So, after much consideration and analysis, I have put together a list of the best 5 dust collection systems for your workshop with their pros and cons.
While getting your dust collection system, you might want to consider a couple of things. Considering these factors help you to easily pick a unit of your choice should incase the units listed below do not meet your budget. These factors include;
- The airflow speed rate: most woodworkers would say the rate of air suction matters while working. It has to do with the amount and speed at which dust is collected per minute by a machine. The faster the dust suction speed, the higher the capacity and the faster the air gets clean.
- Power of the motor: the speed of the motor determines the rate of airflow. That is, the faster and more powerful the motor, the larger the dust collected.
- The size of the bag and its filter capacity: nobody likes to keep going and coming when working. If the size of the dust collection bag is too small, you would have to empty it more often. Also, the bag should be able to collect tiny particles of dust, this makes a proper filtration bag. So, you should go for a good-sized bag with a proper filter.
Our Favorite Choice Of Dust Collection System Summary:
5 Best Dust Collection System Review In Details:
1. SHOP FOX W1685 1.5 Horsepower 1280 CFM Saw Dust Collector
As popularly known and as I would always say, Shop Fox, designs their woodwork products to provide years of trouble-free service for woodworkers of all levels, that is beginners, professionals, and DIYers.
They pay good attention to details and with a strong quality control program, they ensure safe and reliable operation. The W1685 happens to be one of those products.
This dust collection system is designed with a 1.5 horsepower motor. With this power-packed capacity, it can suck air at a speed of 1280 cycles per minute.
Very impressive, right? With this, we are sure to say that it can suck in large debris of dust within minutes and very easily. Despite the compact design, this dust collection system is packed with a heavy-duty, powerful motor that works at a speed of 3450 rounds per minute.
The dust particles collected by this dust collection system go into a translucent bag that is big enough to contain a large amount of dust debris. This translucent bag allows you to check the status of wood particles without having to pour it first on the floor or somewhere or constantly having to check if the bag is full. It has been designed to filter particles as tiny as 2.5 microns.
Still, wondering why you should get the Shop Fox W1685? This dust collector comes with a powder-coated white finish which keeps the collector from getting rusted and it also resists scratches. Thanks to this design, this dust collector can look fresh and good for a long period of time.
It also has a safety switch that keeps untrained people away from it. It locks the power button so that an untrained person cannot use the system.
One exciting and versatile feature of this dust collector system is the 6 inches inlet with a removable Y-fitting with two openings of 4 inches which only needs to be fitted with the 4-inch hose. It is versatile because you can use it with two power tools at the same time. Thereby reducing stress and promoting effective productivity.
- The Shop Fox W1685 comes with 24 months limited parts, 2 years warranty.
- Weighs 108 pounds.
- Motor power of 1.5 HP moves at a speed of 3450 RPM.
- 110 volts.
- Air suction speed at about 1280 Cubic Feet by Minute.
- Filters particles as tiny as 2.5 microns.
- 22.2 inches by 37 by 22.5 inches dimension.
- Made with steel.
- Removeable and easy to replace.
- Big translucent bag.
- Can be used with two power tools.
- Quite expensive.
2. WEN 3401 5.7-Amp 660 CFM Saw Dust Collector With Wall Mount
The most budget-friendly item on the list of our top 5 best dust collection systems is the Wen 3401. Though this company is not exactly a well-known brand, they provide very affordable, reliable, and quality dust collections for woodshops.
So, believe me when I say you can trust the Wen brand. This dust collection system helps to keep the workshop or workspace clean, organized, and filled with fresh air. It has been engineered and designed with many amazing features.
Starting from its brushed motor with a power of 5.7 amps coupled with its impeller of 6 inches, it produces an airflow speed of 660 cubic feet per minute. It also has a dust port which is 4 inches wide.
The dust port allows you to connect it to any woodwork machine in use. With its 1-3/4 inches 4 swivel castor locks, this dust collection system stays in place and all unwanted jerky movements are prevented.
This provides an easy and smooth finish in your workshop. With a weight of 18.6 pounds, this dust collection system happens to be the lightest of all the dust collections in its class.
The Wen 3401 is made with a compact design which makes it easy to store and carry around during woodwork tasks. Alongside its compact design comes a carrying handle and wheels which promote easy movement around the workshop.
So as the user, you don’t have to lift it up when you carry it, you can just simply move it on the floor. So, if you are looking for a dust collection system that is effective and can be easily transported, then you should try the Wen 3401 dust collector.
Additionally, you do not have to go through the stress of carrying it. You can just simply hang it on the wall of your workshop with its built-in mounting options and you are good to go.
Another feature designed in this unit is its dust collection bag of 12 inches which practically is as big as a gallon. You can work and collect dust for a long period of time without having to empty it so often. This dust collection for woodshops can be used and is suitable with the Wen 10-foot hose and the Wen 20- foot dust hose.
- The Wen 3401 has a warranty of 2 years.
- Weighs 18.6 pounds, most lightweight.
- 120 volts, 684 watts.
- 5.7-amp motor power moves at 660 CFM.
- 4 inches dust port, an impeller of 6 inches.
- 12.25 inches by 12.5” by 14.25 inches dimensions.
- Comes with a 12 inches gallon bag for collecting dust.
- Mounting brackets are available.
- Great value for the money.
- Multiple outlet openings.
- None yet.
3. Grizzly Industrial G0710, 1 HP Wall Hanging Saw Dust Collector
Next on the list of our top 5 best dust collection systems is a powerful product from the grizzly industry, the G0710. Grizzly industry is popularly known for its production of durable and trustworthy woodwork machines.
Even with its small size, the Grizzly G0710 is packed with a powerful I hp motor which sucks dust particles at a speed of 537 CFM. It has the capacity to handle dust-producing power tools in your workshop with just the right point of use and a dedicated setup.
This dust collection system comes with a 4 inches bag. Though not so big but good enough for collecting enough dust from a small task, but you might need to empty it more often.
To make removing the bag easy, the clamp holding it to the rest of the system has a quick-release design. This bag is also reusable and replaceable.
It filters dust particles as tiny as 30 microns. With its mounting brackets, it can be hung on the wall to prevent having a cluster of too many tools on the floor of your workshop.
This also promotes organization and orderliness. So if you looking for a compact yet effective and versatile dust collection for a woodshop then you should definitely check out the G0710.
- The Grizzly Industrial G0710-1 comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Weighs 45.8 pounds.
- 537 CFM air suction capacity.
- I HP, 7 amp at 120V/ 3.5 amps at 240V motor capacity.
- Powder coated paint, color green.
- Filtration bag can filter particles of size 30 micron.
- 4 inches Y shaped inlet.
- 77 to 79 sound rates.
- 19.3 inches by 21.1” by 18.8 inches.
- Comes with an extra bag replacement.
- Can be used with two tools.
- Easy to use.
- Can be mounted.
- Removeable and easy to replace.
- Might need to be emptied more often because of it’s not so big collection bag.
4. POWERTEC DC5370 Wall Mounted Dust Collection For Wood Shop
This top 5 dust collection system review would not be complete without a one from POWERTEC. They make very high-rated and affordable woodwork products always with the best interests of woodworkers in their mind.
The Powertec DC5370 is made with a compact design and can be hung on the wall of your woodshop with the help of its mounting brackets. Despite its compact design, it has been engineered with a powerful 1 HP motor alongside dual voltages 120 volts and 240 volts with 7 amps and 5 amps respectively.
This 1 hp motor works at an awesome speed of 3450 rounds per minute producing an airflow capacity of 537 CFM. The mounting bracket feature helps the user to maximize floor space and prevent clutters thereby increasing workshop orderliness and organization.
Also, dust particles can be collected directly from their source without too much movement. All you have to do is to tightly fit in the dust collector hose to the power tool in use through its 4-inch inlet port and watch as the powerful dust collector handles the dust particles for you with ease.
The dust particles are collected into this system’s bag which is 4 inches deep and has the ability to filter dust particles of size 2.5 micron. The bag has a window through which you can easily see the status of the contents inside the bag without having to open it.
It can be removed and replaced easily. Lest I forget. The bag is reusable, that is, it can be used for a long period of time after being emptied before they need to be replaced. Surely, you would agree with me that this helps to save costs.
- The POWERTEC DC5370 gives you a one-year warranty.
- Weighs 40.8 pounds.
- 1 HP, 7 amps at 120V and 3.5 amps at 240V motor capacity.
- Motor speed at 3450 RPM.
- 537 CFM air suction capacity.
- 19 inches by 19” by 16 inches.
- 2.5-micron dust collector bag.
- Comes with a mounting bracket.
- Reusable and replaceable dust bag.
- Can be mounted.
- Easy to use.
- Good value for the money.
- Dust collection bag might be quite expensive.
5. RIKON 60-105, 1 HP Portable Dust Collection System
The Rikon Power Tools company does an in-depth analysis of carpenters, operators, and workers so as to produce the best products. No wonder their products especially the Rikon 60-105 dust collector make it to most of the top best dust collection lists.
Their woodwork products are reliable, durable, and made with high-end quality materials all at an affordable price. This dust collection system for woodshops is power-packed with a sturdy motor of 1 HP which is designed with an advanced cooling system known as the Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled system.
This system helps to keep the motor from overheating and safe from dust particles that could form debris. Not only that, it enhances the durability of this unit.
The 1 HP TEFC motor produces an air suction capacity of about 660 CFM which is quite impressive and a motor speed of 3400 RPM. Enough for a small woodwork task.
This system is not only durable but also versatile. The user can decide not to use the carrying handle to transport it but choose to hang it on the wall using its available mounting options.
Its 4 inches port allows this unit to be connected to other power tools such as lathes etc. with its 9 by 4 inches hose. The dust filtered by this unit is collected in a filter bag which is designed to filter dust particles as tiny as 2 microns with the help of a funnel attachment.
This dust collection system comes with built-in castor locks which help the unit stay in place while in use. They help to prevent every form of jerky, unexpected and unwanted movements thereby promoting a smooth finish with clean air in the workshop. It also helps to prevent possible accidents while performing your woodwork task.
- The Rikon 60-105 dust collector comes with a warranty of 5 years.
- Weighs 54.4 pound.
- 7.5 amps at 115 volts/ 3.75 amps at 230 volts, 60 hz.
- 1 HP TEFC motor.
- 3400 motor speed, 660 CFM air suction capacity.
- 2 microns dust collector bag.
- 78 dB noise level, sturdy steel base.
- 4 inches dust port with 9 inches by 4 inches hose.
- Comes with a replacement dust bag.
- 22.5 inches by 19.5” by 17 inches dimensions.
- Long lasting warranty, 5 years warranty.
- Advanced and sturdy motor with TEFC system.
- Easy to use.
- Easy to carry or mount.
- Only for small shop wood work tasks.
Now you know the top 5 best dust collection systems for your woodshop, their features, pros, and cons. These dust collection systems promise to be of good service to you during your woodwork task.
By having a dust collection system in your woodshop, you can store the wood chips and dust particles into a bag, thereby promoting a neat and organized environment with fresh air. Remember, you can recycle the sawdust as well.
You might be wondering if you would still need a dust collection system even if you use safety gears such as a nose or face mask. Well yes, you do.
The dust collection system is designed to clear the dust in your workshop so while your nose mask protects you from breathing in dust, the dust collection system protects you and the whole of your workshop. It also prevents even the minute of dust particles from harming you.
For the overall best, efficient, and powerful yet quite affordable dust collection system, you should get the Shop Fox W1685 while for the best budget-friendly yet powerful dust collection system, you should get the WEN 3401. I hope this review was helpful.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You: