With the production and improvement in the woodwork industry, woodturning projects can now be made and finished within minutes with a fine and smooth finish. Getting the right tool to do your woodwork projects might be stressful and confusing because there are different products with sweet eye-catching descriptions and marketing techniques.
I understand that, been there, and funny enough, might still be there. But for wood lathe tools, I have done my research, and to make your next search more straightforward, I have put together a list of the top 5 best wood lathe tools.
But before that, you should know the different types of lathe tools. They are:
- Roughing gouges, which are the first to use to remove lots of barks and provide an outline for the workpiece.
- Bowl gouges, which makes it easy to make the contour and convex shapes of a bowl.
- Skew chisels are used to create a uniform smoothness on the workpiece.
- Scrapers are used to complete the deepening of a bowl shape that is the convex and concaveness of a bowl and parting tools.
Buying these tools in a set saves more money and gives you access to all the tools you need at once because they come with different variations of tools.
You can get tools that perform the same tasks as the toolset listed below. Still, you most definitely will be sacrificing quality, which is a risk, so why not purchase these tools that provide quality and affordable for a stress-less and easy woodturning experience.
Our Favorite Choice Of Wood Lathe Tools Summary:
5 Best Wood Lathe Tools Review In Details:
1. Hurricane Woodturning Tools 8 Piece Starter Set
Hurricane tool and supply company is known for providing efficient expert and home improvement solutions. This they do by producing quality and efficient tools.
Their tools are designed to provide high performance, and they are also affordable. Making it to the top 5 best wood lathe tools as the first and best overall is their 8 piece starter set.
The hurricane wood-turning 8 piece starter set is designed to be easy to use and most suitable for beginners and intermediate woodworkers or turners. Although it is the perfect set for beginners, professionals can use it too.
It is made of high-speed steel, and the blades though not pre-sharpened but, when sharpened, lasts 8 times longer compared to carbon steel. This allows you to perform more turning tasks before sharpening again.
The blade, with its high speed, ensures precision and accuracy. Holding the blade and neck of this wood-turning tool is the handle which is made of solid beech which prevents breakage and is long enough to provide a comfortable grip for the turner.
When a device can be held comfortably, the user can work for hours with his hands-free fatigue. This wood-turning tool comes with 8 devices of different sizes and other purposes but has a standard handle to steel ratio.
These tools include a bowl gouge, a parting tool, 2 round nose scrappers, a square nose scraper, a spindle gouge, a roughing gouge, and a skew chisel. According to the manufacturer of this wood-turning tool, a CBN grinding wheel is recommended for sharpening this tool for the best results.
- The Hurricane wood-turning 8 piece set weighs 7.58 pounds.
- Made of high-speed steel.
- Eight pieces in a set.
- 26.5 inches by 6.5 inches by 6 inches tool dimension.
- Handle made with ash/ solid beech.
- It comes with 8 tools: a bowl gouge of ½ inches, ½ inches spindle gouge, 2 round nose scrapers of 1 inch and ½ inches respectively, 3/4 inches diamond parting tool, 1-inch roughing gouge, 1-inch skew chisel, and 3/4″ square nose scraper.
- Better performance.
- Long-lasting sharpness.
- Lightweight and sturdy.
- Long and user-friendly made handles.
- It comes with 8 pieces of different sizes.
- Might require sharpening after being unboxed.
- Only suitable for beginners.
2. IMOTECHOM 8-Pieces HSS Wood Lathe Tools Chisel Set with Walnut Handle
This set consists of 8 tools: two roughing gouges, 2 sew chisels, a spindle gouge, a spear scrapper, a round nose scraper, and a parting tool. Each of these tools is designed with different sizes for their blades and different purposes.
Its blades are made of 6.3 inches of high-speed steel, which lasts longer the high carbon steel when sharpened. Even before being unboxed, the blade is accurately sharpened by a machine.
Its long-lasting edge retention allows the turner to carry out more turning tasks before it gets blunt. The handle of this wood lathe tool is made of walnut and is 10 inches long.
This length allows the user to hold the tool comfortably when in use. All of the 8 tools in this set come in a wooden box, neatly packaged and arranged.
With this box, the user can easily store all of these tools in the same place without looking for any of the devices when he/she wants to use them. It also helps to keep the tools safely and in fine condition.
The box has an enlarged structure and is made of thickened hinges and double-layer panels. This wood-turning tool provides a better advantage because it can be used for larger sizes of wood-turning.
It shaves more amount of wood material and covers a better amount of surface area. Looking for a fine-looking, attractive, but high-quality wood-turning tool, then the Imotechom 8 pieces wood-turning lathe is the one for you. This wood-turning tool will serve as a woodwork assistant and add beauty to your workshop.
- The Imotechom 8-pieces wood-turning tool weighs 7.43 pounds.
- Eight pieces of tools in a set.
- Made with high-speed steel.
- Blade size of 6.3 inches.
- 10 inches handle made of walnut.
- Tools include two roughing gouges of 1 inch and 7/8 inch respectively, two skew chisels of 1 inch and 5/8 inch respectively, 5/16-inch spindle gouge, 5/8-inch spear scrapper,5/8-inch round nose scrape, and 5/8-inch parting tool.
- It comes in a wooden storage case.
- Lightweight and sturdy.
- Good value for the money.
- Attractive handle and design.
- Eight tools of different sizes.
- Made with high-quality steel.
- Might not suitable for heavy duty application.
3. Yellowhammer Woodturning Tools, 8 Piece Lathe Chisel Set for Beginners to Intermediate
There cannot be a complete list of the top best wood lathe tools without the Yellowhammer Turning Tool. Well, it is little wonder why they named their company after the yellowhammer bird.
This bird has a chisel-like bill which it uses to bore into trees. Just like the bird’s bill, their tools bore into any form of wood material accurately and with precision.
Their tools are hand-made and tested to ensure that they are adequate before making them available to the public. The Yellowhammer 8-piece set has been designed to be used by woodworkers of any level, whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or a professional.
It is made of high-quality speed steel. This high-quality speed steel is the reason for its long-lasting edge retention. It helps it to keep up with speed without breaking.
This wood lathe tool provides a better surface area coverage, removes more wood materials, and is durable. Though the blade of this tool might not be the longest amongst its class, it performs pretty much as impressive as the other wood lathe tools.
Its handle is made from beech. They are not only user-friendly but also, ergo- economical. The tools included in this set are 8 in number, in different sizes, and for purposes.
These tools make the whole yellowhammer set versatile, and they are finely and adequately packaged in a wooden case. These tools include a 5/8-inch shear scraper, two roughing gouges of sizes 1 inch and 7/8 inch respectively, a 3/16″ parting tool, a 5/8 inch skew chisel, and a ½ inch bowl gouge.
This wood lathe set is a whole package in one. It is durable, has excellent speed, easy to use, and most of all, budget-friendly. So If you need a low-budget wood lathe tool that is effective, one of the best, and durable, then you should try the Yellowhammer 8 piece set.
- The Yellowhammer 8 pieces lathe chisel set weighs 7.98 pounds.
- Handle made of wood.
- Blade made from steel of high speed, 6 inches long.
- User-friendly handle made from beech, black.
- Dimensions 18.58 inches by 15.94″ by 3.27 inches.
- 16 inches for each tool length.
- Eight tools in a set.
- Tools include a 5/8 inch shear scraper, a 3/16″ parting device, a 5/8 inch round nose scraper, a 1-inch skew chisel, a 5/8 skew chisel, two roughing gouges of 7/8 inch and 1 inch, and a ½ inch bowl gouge.
- User-friendly handle.
- Easy to use.
- Eight tool pieces.
- Yet to be discovered.
4. Savannah 3 Piece Carbide Mini Wood Lathe Tools Set
The Savannah 3-piece woodturning toolset was made to the convenience of turners. It was designed with features that are easy to use, adjust, and are accessible.
These features allow even a beginner to use them conveniently. It is made with high-quality materials. One of the features of these wood lathe tools is the cutter head. It is rotatable and easy to replace.
The Savannah 3 piece Carbide toolset does not require sharpening. Instead, the cutters are to be replaced when it gets blunt.
This has to be the best part about using this wood lathe tool because it reduces the inconvenience that comes with sharpening, and it is easier to do. The cutter head includes the cutter and the bar. They are both made of steel.
The bar is designed with a flat bottom which prevents the bar from rolling when in use. The cutters are designed to be o sharp that you can use the sides of the blade to cut into the workpiece.
With this feature, the turner is sure to produce excellent and smooth items. When in use, the tool requires that it be held parallel to the ground and not upward.
On the handle is a high-quality steel ferrule that provides extra strength and support for the tool. The handle is mainly made of wood, but it is a rubber grip that allows the turner to use it comfortably and for long hours.
The tools included in this set are a two ea. 4 inches square carbide cutter, which allows the turner to rough out more wood pieces from the material, a two ea. round carbide cutter, which does the finishing part of the project and a 2 ea.
Diamond-shaped carbide cutter which is used to add detail to the work item. All packaged orderly and attractively in a heavy-duty black plastic box. Other things included in the box are 2 hex key wrenches and five screws for mounting the cutter head.
- The Savannah 3 piece tool set weighs 3.1 pounds, most lightweight.
- Cutter made from steel, bar 3-1/3 inches long.
- It contains three turning tools in a set; with the diamond-shaped cutter, round cutter, and square cutter.
- 9-1/8 inches long handle.
- Wooden and rubber handle with steel ferrule.
- 15 inches by 11″ by 4 inches dimension.
- It comes in a black storage box.
- No need for sharpening, replaceable cutters.
- Durable and sturdy.
- Great performance.
- Comfortable to use.
- Very sharp cutter edges.
- The ferrule might be loose some times.
5. YUFUTOL Carbide Woodturning Tools
Taking a look at this tool might make you think that the tool is not worth it, but you would not want to let go once you start using it. So, applying the famous saying “do not judge a book by its cover” when purchasing this wood lathe tools would allow you to witness its effectiveness.
It is recommended for woodworkers of every level, from the beginner even DIYers to the professionals. This wood lathe tool is designed with simple features, including uncomplicated angles.
These features make it easier for a beginner to use the tool effortlessly. The toolbar is about 4.72 inches long, and the handle is 7.87 inches long.
The handle is designed to provide comfort for the turner and extended fatigue-free work hours. There are three tools in this wood lathe toolset; a mini finisher, a detailer, and a rougher.
Packaged with the tools are 2 round carbide cutters (12mm), 2 square carbide cutters (11mm), two diamond-shaped cutters, an insert cutter, and a hex wrench. The blades allow the turner to large rough pieces of the material without the stress of sharpening.
It also ensures precision and eliminates the need for sharpening. Instead of sharpening, a blunt cutter can be replaced with the extra blades with the storage box. This wood lathe toolset provides a complete package in one box, which showcases its versatility.
- The Yufutol Carbide wood-turning tool weighs 0.141 ounces.
- Blade made of carbide.
- Dimensions of 12.64 inches by 2.76″ by 2.76 inches.
- Three pieces of tools in a set.
- 7.87 inches handle made of wood.
- Easy to use.
- Very sharp cutter edges.
- Not so much on the attractive side.
- Brass sleeves might come off quickly, low quality.
When purchasing these wood lathe sets, you should consider some factors so that you can find the perfect fit for you. These factors include;
The quality of the blade or cutter: The edge is like the apex of the wood lathe tool because it does most of the woodturning job. The sharpness of the blade or knife determines how well or how fast a turner would end with a project. Because you might be working with different types of wood, it is expected the blade of your tool be rigid and strong.
Length and convenience of the handle: Talking about working for long hours with little or no feeling of fatigue is determined by the size and design of the handle. A rubberized handle provides more support and comfort for the turner. And the of the tool allows you to have the perfect grip on the tool.
Cost and versatility: Before purchasing any item, you must have a stipulated amount of money for that item. Having a planned and arranged budget prepares you in case of a sudden price hike. Sets made of carbide cutters are most likely to be more expensive, but they are, to a large extent, worth it. But do not mistake a high price for high quality. A high price might result from the popularity or status of the manufacturers, and the tool might not be of high quality.
The need to look after your tools cannot be overemphasized, so after purchasing your tools, you must take good care of your tools to enhance durability and longevity. I hope this review article was helpful. Good luck in your search.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You: