Whether you are dabbling in woodworking as a hobby or counting on it as the sole way of making a living, having the right apron on before tackling any project remains a basic requirement.
Prevention is better than cure, they say. As a woodworker, you surely want to be protected from debris, heat, sawdust, liquid splatters, and all other elements that tend to spoil your work outfits. It will also protect your wear from jagged nails, sharp machinery or tools, razors, and so on.
These woodworking aprons are very useful in protecting a large portion of your body from hazardous elements in the workshop. It is a way of investing in your safety and should never be underestimated.
Storage is another reason you need woodworking aprons. Aprons serve as a quick-access and mobile storage unit since they are made with woodworking in mind, having one on top of your normal clothes will make you look more professional as well as give you easy access to your tools.
If you work with wood and you don’t have a woodworking apron, you’re making life more difficult than it needs to be. Choosing the best woodworking apron suitable for you involves asking a lot of questions and understanding the types of fabric the apron is made of, your storage needs, the design of the apron for comfort and use.
The best material for a woodworking apron is either waxed canvas or leather. Both are durable, but both have their different pros and cons when it comes to maintenance and comfort.
The best-waxed canvas apron will stand to good use while maintaining flexibility for a longer period, this might be your priority for a shop apron. A leather apron instead of a canvas work apron might suit better for woodturning, and more aggressive woodworking jobs when you want a thicker shield of protection to defend you and your clothing from flying wood chips.
Aprons for woodworking are not popular items you would find at the big stores and places you would normally purchase your woodworking tools. This is the reason it is not an easy task to find the best woodworking apron for you. A good apron needs to offer the best protection, durability, comfort, storage, and of course, price.
Different brands have different specialized features which come with different prices. However, you can get a high-quality product at an affordable price if you look far enough.
While choosing a suitable apron, you should consider the material, comfort, functionality, special features, and price. Below is our review of the best woodworking aprons available.
Our Favorite Choice Of Woodworking Apron Summary:
5 Best Woodworking Apron Review In Details:
1. FIGHTECH Leather Woodworking Apron with Tool Pockets for Men & Women
The first and premium item on our list of best woodworking aprons is the Fightech Leather Work Apron. Made with heavy-duty quality leather material, this woodworking apron provides comfort, efficient service, and 6 firmly double-stitched pockets to hold tools firmly. Suitable and easily the ultimate woodshop apron for all sexes and workers of every type and level, I must say, cooks and gardeners inclusive.
Although it is not really water-resistant, the quality and heavy-duty material this leather woodworking apron is made of makes it heat and flame resistant, isn’t that wonderful?. Its resistance to heat makes up for its vulnerability to water. Therefore it can be used when doing works like making barbecue or welding.
The front pockets include two chest pockets for holding pencils and your cell phone respectively. The cellphone pocket comes with a flap and buckles for holding your phone in place whenever you bend over.
The other pockets are the kangaroo pockets and larger pockets for holding tools. All thanks to the hammer loops and tool rings, there is enough space in the larger pockets for holding more tools.
To create a perfect fit, you can use the X-shaped harness design to adjust the straps. These straps have been designed to fit any body frame ranging from small waist sizes to extra large waist sizes.
The shoulder straps ensure comfort no matter how long you choose to work. Rivets and grommets are put in place to ensure that the apron does not tear or rip apart due to the weight of the tools.
- The Fightech Leatherwork apron is 24 inches wide and 36 inches high provides full coverage.
- Made of 100% quality leather.
- Two thick but soft shoulder pads.
- 2 chest pockets with flaps for holding cell phone and pencils.
- Hammer loops and tools rings.
- Rivets and grommets to prevent tear.
- Quick-release buckles for adjustments and easy removal.
- Kangaroo hand pockets.
- A hanging loop for storage when not in use.
- Heat and Flame resistant.
- Hammer loops and rings provide extra space.
- Easy and comfortable to use.
- Anti-fall cellphone pocket.
- Convenient hanging loop.
- Not very water-resistant and so requires extra care where water is involved.
2. Hudson Heavy Duty Waxed Canvas Woodworking Apron for Men & Women
Here is another woodworking shop apron made by Hudson which provides most of the features needed by any woodworker. Despite the small size of the company, Hudson has proven to provide one of the best woodworking aprons.
This leather woodworking apron made by Hudson has been built to last no matter how often they are used. It is designed with amazing features and made of 16 oz waxed cotton with black to provide a professional look for all sexes.
With a versatile 27 inches width and 34 inches height, this woodworking apron provides full coverage and protection from the chest to the knees. It also has straps that can accommodate waist sizes of all sexes up to 50 inches comfortably. It can also be adjusted to fit any height with the help of its X-back design.
At first, this woodshop apron might seem stiff when worn. Do not worry it gets soft over time, a short period in fact. To ensure longevity, the apron is done with double stitching and the pockets and holes are held with quality metal rivets and grommets. This helps to keep the apron from tearing.
The pockets on this woodshop apron include a chest pocket for holding your pencils and phones. The chest pocket unlike the larger pockets does not have a flap to keep your phone from falling so you might need to hold your phone in place when bending over. The other pockets are the kangaroo hand tools and the larger pockets for holding tools.
To revive the color of this woodshop apron, you might need to rewax it. Rewaxing this apron might require extra attention to give it the perfect finish.
After re-waxing it is advised that you air it out for days or put it inside a freezer overnight so that the waxy odor can wear off. This woodworking apron might easily be referred to as the best budget-friendly apron amongst its class.
- The Hudson Durable Work Apron weighs 1.61 pounds.
- Made of water-resistant, durable 16 oz waxed cotton.
- One chest pocket for holding pencils and a cellphone.
- 27 inches wide and 34 inches high for full front coverage.
- 2 kangaroo hand style pockets.
- Pockets and holes with quality metal rivets and grommets to prevent tear.
- Wide range of uses.
- Stylish look, ones with three color options to choose from.
- Built for long-lasting.
- The apron gives all-day comfort with customized size fitting.
- Versatile size with large coverage and a custom fit.
- Big hand pocket with ‘kangaroo’ style and snap closures.
- Needs special care while cleaning it. Cannot be machine washed, dry washed, or cleaned with hot water.
- The inside black coating may affect light color clothes. So better to wear black or dark color cloth under the apron.
- Limited pencil holders.
- No shoulder pads.
- Requires rewaxing.
3. Texas Canvas Heavy Duty Waxed Canvas Woodworking Apron for Men & Women
The woodwork waxed canvas apron is not only durable but also provides comfort, great performance, and a charming appearance in your workshop. It is made of different features to carry out effective services in your workshop.
These features include the custom-dyed waxed cotton material it is made with, which is durable and keeps your clothes clean despite the stains and water you could be exposed to in the workshop.
Alongside this durable material are its rivets and grommets. The rivets and grommets are provided to prevent the pockets and bones of the apron from wearing out or tearing.
Measuring 27 inches wide and 34 inches high, this apron has been designed to fit everyone almost perfectly if not perfectly; extra thanks to its easy release buckle which allows for adjustments and easy removal. It also has a super long strap that can be adjusted to comfortably go around any waist up to 50 inches in size.
This woodworking apron is very versatile and can be used by any type of woodworker. It has been designed to be strong such that it can hold up tools of any size. As Texas Canvas Wears would always say, “We want you to buy with peace of mind”, this apron gives you that workshop peace of mind.
- This woodworking apron comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Weighs 1.4 pounds.
- Height 34 inches, width 27 inches gives a universal fit.
- Made with 16 oz waxed cotton canvas.
- Brown in color.
- Rivets and grommets to prevent tear.
- Cross back straps.
- Two front tool pockets size 7 by 7 inches.
- There are two 5-inches chest pockets to hold cell phones and pencils.
- Very long and adjustable strap can accommodate waist sizes up to 5 inches.
- 2 shoulder pads to ensure comfort.
- Relieve neck pressure.
- Durable techniques.
- Aesthetic and attractive.
- This rugged apron is fashionable also.
- It helps to boost the user’s productivity with safety.
- The heavy-duty water-resistant canvas protects you from kickbacks and spills.
- Cell phone pockets provide convenience.
- The tuckable flaps keep out the pockets from dust and debris.
- There is no attachment or keeper between the straps at their crossing point on your back, so while changing positions they may fall off the shoulders.
4. Tipkits Carpenters Apron Unisex with 9 Tool Pockets, Waxed Canvas and Magnetic Holders
The Tipkits woodworking Apron is a durable and high-quality woodshop apron made with heavy-duty 20 oz waxed canvas. This apron is designed to be used by woodworkers of every type even gardeners be it a DIYer or an expert. It comes with a total pocket of 9, each with different sizes for holding tools of different sizes and uses.
On the apron is a chest pocket 3.9 inches wide and 5.3 inches high which can hold phones of about 5.5 inches. Over the pocket is a bungee cord that keeps your phone from falling when you bend over.
The other chest pocket can be used to keep your pencils. Amongst the pockets on this woodshop apron is a magnetic pocket for holding nails. On each strap of this carpenter apron is a shoulder pad that provides comfort whether you will be working for short or long hours.
The straps can also be adjusted to fit all body frames perfectly and firmly, ranging from small to extra extra large. I do not know how many aprons have a strap for safety glasses attached to them, but this woodworking apron sure does have.
You can hang any light stuff including your earphone in case you want to listen to music while you work. All 9 pockets of this apron are designed to ensure convenience and comfort while you work.
- The Tipkits Woodworking Apron comes with a 2 years warranty.
- Weighs 2.2 pounds.
- Made with 20 oz waxed canvas.
- 2 kangaroo hand pockets for lighter tools.
- Two chest pockets for holding pencils and cell phone protectively.
- A magnetic pocket for nails.
- Shoulder pads to provide comfort.
- 2 years worry-free warranty.
- Strong magnetic pockets.
- Easy to use.
- Adjustable straps to provide a great fit.
- Anti-fall cellphone pocket.
- Resilient and resistant.
- Might need to be rewaxed after some period of use and it should be done with a hairdryer to provide an even coating.
- Might need extra care and distance from temperature to prevent deformation.
5. Eco Zen Woodworking Shop Apron Waxed Canvas Unisex
The last on our list is the Woodworking shop Apron made by Eco Zen. It is a handcrafted 16 oz waxed cotton canvas apron with features that ensure and provide comfort for the wearer. It also has double stitches which ensures longevity and keeps it from wearing out.
With a height measuring 34 inches, it protects your chest down to your knees and a width measuring 27 inches, it provides full front coverage and protection while working. It is also water-resistant and flexible. With the help of the easy release buckles on the apron, you can easily adjust the apron to fit any body shape perfectly when in use and remove it easily when no longer in use.
Amongst the front pockets on this woodshop apron is a chest pocket with a zipper that can be used to hold your phone while you work. This pocket with zipping provides convenience, and easy access and keeps your phone from falling when you bend over.
Each front pocket has a flap that prevents dust from entering the pocket. Also, its rivets and grommets protect the pockets and holes from tearing. There are not many aprons that have a strap for holding your safety glasses, but this apron is one of those which does.
- Weighs 1.54 pounds.
- Made of cotton canvas.
- 27 inches wide and 34 inches high to provide full coverage and protection.
- 2 soft shoulder pads.
- Rivets and grommets to prevent tear.
- Front chest pocket with zip for cell phones.
- 2 kangaroo pockets.
- Large tool pockets at the front with flaps.
- Comes in a black fancy case.
- Easy to use.
- Adjustable straps.
- Stylish and quite attractive.
- Thick yet flexible.
- Thick and strong stitches to keep it from wearing out.
- Pockets with flaps to keep dust debris out of the pocket.
- You might need to reapply wax after a long period of use.
- Not very adjustable especially for men with a bigger chest build.
You could consider any of the aprons listed above as an ideal Father’s Day gift or birthday present for your dad or husband, in case you are wondering what to get. As I would always say, getting the right apron is one thing but maintaining it is another.
You have to take care of your apron to maintain its features and promote longevity. Do not forget to learn the uses of all the pockets on the apron and use them respectively. Always hang your apron or fold properly to prevent it from rumpling.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You: