Picking a cordless drill for a woodworking project be it as a DIYer, a professional, or as a starter can be very overwhelming. If you also notice, drills these days have become lighter and more efficient in terms of energy. This is due to the improvements in lithium-ion battery technology.
Any manufacturer can offer different drills using different marketing techniques, thereby leaving a starter confused about which tool to pick. The cordless drill industry is improving every day with models even better than the previous and they guarantee to be the best in the pack.
A good drill should be able to drill holes and drive screws with ease and at a good speed. They are probably the most sort-after tools which explain why these tools are very essential and every user should have one at home.
Cordless drills could actually be said to be in two categories, the brushless and the brushed. Even though the brushless is quite expensive, it has the ability to adjust according to the weight of the work in progress.
For instance, if the task is of a lesser duty, it will only draw a small amount of power but if it is a heavy task, it will take more power. Brushless motors are more battery efficient than brushed motors.
Cordless drills run on battery power and are very versatile as well as powerful. Due to the advancements in the production of power tools, these batteries can be interchanged between products of the same brand such that you can use the same battery for your drill and saw.
This improvement has made it easy and less expensive for DIYers and beginners, such that they save money and buy just bare tools that can use the same battery. Because this power drill uses battery power, it can be taken anywhere as far as it is fully charged before use, or else you would have to wait several hours while it charges.
Because of its “cordlessness”, it is portable and easy to hold. A cordless drill with higher voltage guarantees more torque-spinning strength which helps to overcome resistance. With this high amount of force, these cordless drills can drill and drive screws through and into any form of object.
After taking a look at the power drills and so much consideration, I have provided you with an article that reviews 5 of the best cordless drills and gives their specifications as well as their pros and cons to help you make the right choice on your next woodwork adventure. Below is a list of the best cordless drills and a review of them.
Our Favorite Choice Of Cordless Drill Summary:
Top 5 Best Cordless Drill Review In Details:
MAKITA FD07R1 – 12V MAX CXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Driver Drill
At the top of the list is the best cordless drill, Makita FD07R1 cordless Driver Drill. This cordless drill is the premium item on the list and the reason for this is very obvious.
It exudes power as well as energy and it can be used for general purposes. If you are looking for a cordless drill capable of driving any screw through any kind of wall or wood, then you should definitely get yourself a Makita FD07R1.
“Makita” is a well-known and powerful brand in the power tool industry. This is because the tools produced by this brand are always efficient, durable, and perform outstandingly. It is also easy to use. It outshines its competitors when compared thereby always proving to be the best.
The Makita FD07R1 packs a serious punch and hence can be used as an absolute alternative for the 18 and 20-volt models. For all sorts of drilling and driving applications, it uses its mechanical 2-speed transmission which delivers at 0-450 and 0-1500 RPM.
This cordless drill has lithium-ion batteries engineered to prevent over-loading and over-heating. The battery design made for this cordless drill is a slide battery design that allows it to stand on its own to the user’s comfort.
- The Makita FD07R1 is equipped with a mechanical 2-speed transmission at 0-450 and 0-1500RPM.
- Comes with a three-year warranty.
- Compact and user- friendly design at only 6-1/16 long.
- Brushless motor that 280 in. lb.
- Visibility is improved by the help of the built-in LED which is bright enough for the whole workspace.
- Slide battery design with a 12V max CXT.
- Weighs 2.3lbs with battery, lightweight.
- User-friendly designed handle with soft grip made of rubber.
- It feels very soft to touch due to its rubber design.
- Has a lightweight.
- Small sized drill suitable for screws of any size.
- Kit comes with two batteries and a fast charger.
- Best option for the money.
- Comes with a belt hook for easy attachment.
- Cannot be used with 12V max pod style tools, batteries or chargers.
BLACK+DECKER LDX220C – 20V MAX 2-Speed Cordless Drill Driver
The Black+Decker LDX220C is one of the best power drills. It was made with the household in mind because it was made ideal for a range of household projects and tasks.
Also, it has a lightweight design made to the comfort of the hands of the user. The 11-clutch feature on this power helps to prevent stripped screws.
This power tool might just be the most versatile cordless drill that can be used anywhere at any time. For an extra level of control, the black+decker has an 11-clutch setting.
It has also been engineered to provide a speed of 0-650 rounds per minute. Thanks to its bright LED light and compact, you can use it even in a dark workspace as well as in small spaces with little or no trouble at all.
- The Black+Decker LDX220C has a two year warranty.
- Has an LED bulb of 20 volts.
- Weighs about 3.5 lbs, lightweight.
- 11-clutch feature for preventing stripped screw.
- Max torque of 310 in-lbs providing a speed of 0-650RPM.
- Compact design which allows users to use it even in confined spaces.
- Battery can last up to 18 months.
- Bright LED light, which makes it easy to see in a dark workspace.
- Very comfortable to hold.
- Not totally reliable.
- Not enough torque hence low amounts of RPM.
DEWALT DCD791D2 – 20V MAX Cordless Drill / Brushless Driver Kit
Searching for a cordless with fast drilling speed, DeWalt DCD791D2 is their first you. This drill rotates at a speed of 2000 rounds per minute thereby earning the top rating for speed.
It is fast at drilling holes as well as driving screws making it very effective for any household task. It is probably the fastest cordless tool on this review list.
The price and performance of this cordless drill have made it the best-designated buy. The DeWalt 20V cordless drill brushless motor produces about 57% more runtime than the brushed.
Its lightweight makes it possible for it to fit into confined spaces. It has also been engineered with high transmission of 2-speed settings of 0-550 or 0-2000 RPM thereby delivering a high-speed range.
The high-speed transmissions give a 2-speed variation which allows users to adjust to the level of performance befitting the task at hand. The grip of this cordless drill has a user-friendly design which enhances balance and control over the tool.
An improvement was made on this model such that its LED light is 20 times brighter than the previous model, thereby creating very clear visibility in a dark workspace. Its ratcheting chuck is made of metal and of 1/2″ for holding the bit firmly.
- The Dewalt 20V max cordless drill has a three-year warranty.
- Weighs about 3.4lbs, lightweight; compact of 6’9″ Front to back.
- Li-ion battery with fuel gauge.
- Yellow in colour.
- Metal ratcheting chuck of 1/2″ for holding bits firmly.
- LED light of 3-mode which is 20 times brighter than the previous model.
- User-friendly grip handle4 which is comfortable and provides the perfect balance and tool control.
- High speed transmission with two speed setting.
- Comes with two amp-hour batteries.
- Easy to handle.
- Noisier than other drills.
METABO HPT DS18DDXM – 18V Brushless Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Driver Kit
The Metabo manufacturers are one of the noblest companies in the power tool industry. Metabo HPT cordless drill is the best handheld power drill for any kind of home-hold task, contractor, DIYer, etc.
This tool is probably the lightest power drill among its peers. Its weight creates all-day-long comfort for its user. This handheld power drill has a keyless chuck 1/2″ which can be easy to replace. In case you are wondering if slippage during use is possible, it is not.
Despite the chuck being keyless, it has been made to stay in place once it is in use. Its speed is fast enough that it goes 1700 max RPM. The 20+1 position clutch does not only enhances the work level but also makes the experience smooth and interesting. It also features an ergonomic grip handle to provide comfort for the user whether in use or not.
Thanks to the compatibility of the Metabo HPT DS18DDCM, all Metabo HPT 18V, and 36V Lithium-Ion slide batteries can be used with it. The charger also charges the tool at a very fast pace within the space of an hour. This power drill comes with two battery packs, a case, a drill driver, a charger, and a Phillips drill bit.
- 2-year battery warranty and 1-year charger warranty with a Li-ion warranty of a lifetime.
- Weighs 2.7lbs with battery, lightweight.
- Produces 485 in-lbs of force and 1700max RPM.
- Bright LED light created to illuminate the workspace even when it is dark.
- Battery is made up of Li-ion battery technology which provides fade free power and ensures its lightweight.
- Replaceable and easy to replace its due to the keyless chuck.
- Easy to use.
- Great speed, comfort and value.
- Very fast charging power.
- Great for use in small spaces due to its compact design.
- Comes with a drill driver, two battery packs, a carrying bag etc.
- Not so good serviceability.
BOSCH PS31-2A – 12V, 3/8 Inch, Two Speed Driver, Cordless Drill Set
Bosch is known and well regarded for not just its quality production of power but also for its innovation. The Bosch power tool drill can be used for both installing and electrical work that demands a large about of drilling ability.
Its 2-speed setting provides a speed of 0-350 RPM and 0- 1300RPM at a torque of 265 in.lbs. This cordless drill might just be the producer of the best and fastest charger.
It charges the cordless drill from totally drained to fully charged within an hour. The Bosch power tool drill is actually the best performing cordless drill in ratio to size amongst its class.
Its high torque and 2-speed setting allow this cordless drill to drill through applications like woods, drywall, and also metal. As extra, this cordless drill kit comes with two lithium-ion batteries, screwdriver bits, a 12V charger, and a bag.
The chuck is made of an angled sleeve of 3/8 inches, three-jaw to enable secure holds. The 20+1 clutch settings give users the ability to adjust their torque for drilling and driving screws to the user’s satisfaction.
- The Bosch power tool has a three-year protection plan.
- Weighs only 1.80 lbs, lightweight.
- It is blue in colour.
- Fuel gauge for continuous working.
- Integrated LED light to enhance visibility.
- 2-speed setting at 0-350 RPM and 0-1300 RPM.
- Battery drill of 12volts which comes with two 12V lithium ion batteries to increase runtime.
- Best performance to size ratio.
- Comes with 2 screw driver bits.
- LED light allows users to see in dark workspaces.
- Very fast charging power (just 1 hour).
- Very fast charging power.
- Might need extra attention.
- Might be a bit difficulty replacing the chuck.
Our Favorite Choice Of Cordless Drill Summary:
According to more of my research and observation, I realized that the battery of the cordless drills lasts longer if you mainly use it to drive screws while the battery drains quite fast when you drill holes on surfaces. On your next search for a good and quality cordless drill, I would recommend that you purchase any of the cordless drills listed above not just for a good job but also for an enjoyable woodwork experience.
They are all worth the prices at which they are sold through some more than the other, but I guarantee that you will enjoy every bit of your time with any of the cordless drills listed above that you purchase. If you need any information or help, you can always inquire and I will be happy to help. I hope this list was helpful.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You:
- How To Build A Wood Router CNC Machine: DIY Smart Saw Review.
- How To Recondition Batteries: The EZ Battery Reconditioning Review.