Before arriving at a beautiful woodwork end-product or that amazing satisfaction you feel with your woodwork, there was definitely a need for sanding. After cutting wood into the desirable and useful shape you had in mind, sanding comes to play when you rub the surface of the object you are working on to make it smooth or clean.
Truth be told, a sander does more than just smoothening a surface. It gives a surface a “tooth” by scratching on the surface so that the next layer of paint will stick firmly to the surface of the object. It also removes rust etc.
Many DIYers, as well as woodwork professionals, do not enjoy much of the sanding process but getting not just the right but the best random orbital sander gives you the ultimate and most amazing experience. It also allows for applying a smooth finishing touch to your project.
A random orbital sander is another type of power tool that has been produced to make woodworking projects easy and smooth. Many manufacturers will showcase different orbital sanders trying to convince you with different words, using different sales strategies which only makes you more confused.
But fear not, this random orbital sanders review will create not just an exposure but also prepare you for your search for your next woodwork project tool. While the Random Orbital Sanders may not be the cheapest handheld sander, its performance definitely makes up for the price. It is said to remove more material than the other sanders.
The movement made by a random orbital sander creates different patterns and as a result of that, they are unpredictable and if controlled properly can create an attractive kind of design. Also, its hook and loop disk is very easy to remove and is easy to use.
Of course, everything, or as in this case, every tool has its own problems. As for the random orbital sander, you could experience a little difficulty while using it in corners because of its round sanding surface and because it removes much material when held in one place, it is advised you keep it moving always while in use.
The random orbital sander has been engineered to work with just the weight of the power tool coupled with the little weight from your hand and so if you apply too much pressure, the surface of the object you are working on may get damaged.
For starters, you should know that there are three different types of random orbital sanders and they are electric-powered, air-powered, and orbital floor sanders. While the orbital floor sanders roll on the floor, the electric and air-powered are handheld sanders.
Most of the random orbital sanders reviewed in this article are corded and handheld. The corded random orbital sander does not use a battery so there has to be a constant supply of electricity for it to be used. Let’s check out the top 5 best random orbitals through these random orbital sanders reviews.
Our Favorite Choice Of Random Orbital Sander Summary:
Top 5 Best Random Orbital Sander Review In Details:
MAKITA BO5041 – Random Orbital Sander 3-AMP
The first and premium item on our list of best random orbital sanders is the Makita BO5041 which combines the power of 300 watts with good speed and performance. This handheld sander is perfect for woodworkers, DIYers, and even general contractors.
It is not far-fetched why this handheld sander is regarded as the overall best random orbital sander. It has been engineered with quite impressive features to meet the accomplishment of your tasks.
It has more power which allows for a fast sanding experience and a smooth finishing touch. It has a variable speed control dial that produces 4,000-12,000 OPM.
This handheld sander is a corded electric power tool. It is so easy to use that the front handle can be adjusted so that it can be used to work in tight areas and corners. The grip handle is made of rubber and with a user-friendly design to enhance comfort and tool control for the user.
The improved dust collection ability it possesses is made possible by the high-capacity dust collection system with an in-built vacuum port adapter. The five-inch eight-hole hook and loop disc quick change is another interesting feature the Makita has as well as effective through the pad dust collection which allows for a cleaner work environment and experience.
- The Makita BO5041 weighs about 2.1 pounds, lightweight.
- Speed that produces 4000-12000 orbits per minutes (OPR).
- 3.0 AMP motor which produces smooth and rapid sanding.
- User-friendly grip handle made of rubber to enhance comfort and control for the user.
- Power of 300 watts and 110 volts.
- Blue in color.
- Uses a corded electric power source.
- Can be used in corners and tight places because of its adjustable front handle.
- Double insulation.
- 1/8” orbit action which provides a swirl-free finish.
- No batteries required.
- Pad brake for top-notch productivity.
- Very easy to use and control.
- Allows the use of two hands for effective control.
- Quick change abrasive discs.
- Comes with a dust bag and a dust bag nozzle.
- The built-in vacuum is quite average.
SKIL SR211601 – 5” Random Orbital Sander
Next on the list is the SKIL 5″ Random Orbital Sander. This item is the cheapest orbit sander on the list but definitely one of the best. Notwithstanding its price, it exudes outstanding and quality performance. It is very powerful and can be used in confined places.
The SKIL 5″ Random orbital sander by a counterweight balance and a user-friendly design reduces vibration and hand fatigue in order for the user to work for a longer period. With the variable speed control, the user is provided with the right amount of power and the ability to control the tool through all kinds of materials no matter the task.
It can also be used on wood, metal, and plastic delivering fine work without a mess. This Random Orbital Sander spins at a speed of 7000-13000 OPM at 120 volts.
The x-flow dust collector uses cyclone force to collect dust. These specks of dust are then gathered into a simple to empty see-through container attached to the Orbit Sander.
With an amperage of 2.8 and 13,000 OPM, it can deliver a smooth performance through any application. One distinguishing factor about this orbit sander is its sheerness, that is, its thinness.
- The SKIL 5” random orbital sander has a 1-year warranty.
- Amperage of 2.8.
- Weighs 3.44 lbs.
- Comes with 3 pieces of sanding paper and a dust box.
- Red in color.
- Power of 120 volts spins at 7000-13000 OPM.
- Easy to an empty transparent container.
- X-flow dust collector for a cleaner workspace.
- Low vibration.
- Easy to use.
- Can be adjusted to be used in confined places.
- Not exactly the most durable orbit sander.
BOSCH ROS20VSC – Palm Sander 2.5 AMP 5 Inch Corded
The Bosch Company is well known for the production of quality and efficient power tools which are also long-lasting. The Bosch palm sander is one of those high-end quality power tools they have produced. Amongst these power tools, the ROS20VSC palm sander model happens to be one of the best random orbital sanders.
This palm sander has been engineered to allow carpenters and cabinet makers to finish their woodwork project quickly with standards and without swirl marks. It also sands fast and has the best vacuum for collecting dust.
This is because of its circular rubber ring seal, good airflow, and airtight dust canister. This palm sander is also designed to erase swirl marks with an integral pad dampening system built in it.
So if you are looking for a random orbital sander that leaves no mark on your work surface, ROS20VSC is the one for you. It can be used with a standard 1-1/4 inch and 1-1/2 inch vacuum hose.
It has a single speed of 12,000 OPM which users can control or adjust to fit the task at hand. Thanks to the micro filter system, dust particles as small as 1/2 micron in diameter can be trapped to prevent users from inhaling too many dust particles.
The compact dust canister makes it easy to see the dust and easy for it to be removed if need be. This feature is so effective that some users see little or no need at all to use a nose or face mask.
- The Bosch ROS20VSC has a 1-month refund guarantee and 1-year manufacturer warranty.
- Bulb voltage of 120 volts, 2.5 Amps.
- Adjustable speed of 7,500 to 12000 OPM.
- A single speed of 12,000 OPM.
- Weighs 3.5 lbs, not much of a lightweight.
- Its chord is about 8 feet long.
- A comfortable and rubber-designed body and handle.
- Blue in color.
- Low vibration during use.
- Comes with a soft sanding pad, a sanding disc, a vacuum hose adapter, a bag, and a 5-inch random orbital sander of the same model.
- Easy to use.
- Allows users to adjust to the perfect speed befitting the nature of the task at hand.
- Allows for a clean workspace due to its micro filter.
- Might be noisier than the other random orbit sanders.
- Starts slow.
METABO HPT SV13YST – 5 Inch Random Orbital Sander
Metabo HPT is a popular brand well-known for producing quality and outstanding power tools. They might be quite expensive but the product is definitely worth the price. So far this palm sander might just be the best with the fastest amount of speed. Its weight allows for easy movement and less fatigue for the user.
Due to the hose connector feature on the Metabo SV13YST and the adapter, there is little or no need for the use of a rag and parker after finishing a task. Those features help to reduce the clean-up time. Vibration from this orbit sander is reduced with the help of the rubber-designed grip. This design also provides comfort to the hands of the user.
The Metabo SV13YST is about 5-11/16-in high coupled with its weight of 3.1 lbs, it can be used for long periods of time and the sealed switch helps to elongate the tool’s life. Like I said earlier, this orbit sander might just be the fastest random orbit sander. With its speed of 9,000-13,000, it can remove a lot of material in a short amount of time.
- The Metabo HPT SV13YST has a 5-year warranty.
- Weighs 3.1 lbs, lightweight.
- A motor of 2.8 amp, 230 watts.
- Speed that moves at 9,000-13,000 pm.
- Elastomer covered handle (that is rubberized grip handle) to ensure a comfortable grip.
- It uses a corded power source.
- Includes a hose connector for collecting dust and adapter.
- Comes with 5 pieces of sanding paper, a dust bag, and a vacuum adapter.
- Easy to use and hold.
- Sandpaper can be changed easily.
- Very thick and user-friendly.
- Easy to empty dust bag.
- Needs attention, cannot be allowed to stay on a spot while in use for long in order to prevent damage on the work surface.
DEWALT DWE6421 – Random Orbital Sander 5 Inch
There cannot be a list of the best Random Orbital Sander without the DeWalt DWE6421. This Orbital Sander has many amazing features starting from its 3.0Amp which spins the pad at 12,000 OPM.
At this speed, it is obvious that it will deliver a smooth and cIt’s height also allows the user the proximity to the workspace when working. Like the other orbit sander mentioned earlier, it also has a sealed dust switch and a dust collector to protect the user against excess breathing in of dust while in use.
Vibration from this tool is reduced by a separate counterweight. The new improved dust switch comes with a one-handed locking dust bag and has a dust port that can fit into the DWV010 or DWV012 dust collectors.
To do this you have to use especially 1-1/4″ hoses, use a DWV9000 universal connector. This random orbit sander uses a corded power source.
- The DeWalt random orbit sander has a limited warranty of 3 years, 1-year free service, and 90 days refund guarantee.
- Motor of 3.0 amp which spins the pad at a maximum of 12,000 OPM and a minimum of 8,000 OPM.
- Weighs 3.4 lbs.
- Corded power source.
- Rubberized design over mold in most areas of the tool to ensure comfort for the user. Yellow in color.
- It includes a dust bag and a DWE6421 sander.
- Outstanding sanding performance.
- The dust bag does not really make work easy.
Our Favorite Choice Of Random Orbital Sander Summary:
Now that you have read this orbital sander review and know the best orbital sander to use, you should know how to care for them. They do not need too much care but little and this you can do by always blowing out the dust with compressed air or a can of it.
Let’s not also forget that you need to wear a nose mask and safety goggles in order to protect your face even with the vacuum system. Like the popular saying “safety first”. Each of the mentioned orbital sanders is regarded as the best orbital sander but I hope with this review, picking the right orbital sander would be easy for you.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You:
- Teds Woodworking Review – From A Woodworker’s Opinion.
- How To Start A Woodworking Business From Home With Less Than $1000.