Many woodworkers, including professionals, DIYers, and beginners, have been having a lot of trouble finding the best wood chisel to purchase for their woodwork. Well, here is a review on the top 5 best wood chisels set for you and those that have not asked but might still be wondering.
A chisel generally can be used to cut or shape hard materials like wood, metal, and even stone, but the wood chisel, as the name implies, cuts through just wood. However, it is made possible by forcing the sharp edge of the chisel into the material by either hitting the not-sharp edge with a hammer or mallet. Carving and cutting through wood can easily be achieved by having the best wood chisels.
Getting the right wood chisel set for your woodwork task can be stressful and might even take much more time than expected. This is because even though most wood chisels appear to look the same and have equal energy efficiency, there are quite a number of things to consider for you to make the right choice.
This choice should be about the task at hand plus the fact that all these different wood chisels have unique features in terms of shape and type of job they can do. Not to mention the marketing techniques and barrage of words used to sell these tools.
Like most woodworking tools, Wood chisels are lightweights but much lighter, making them easy to carry everywhere. Thanks to the carrying box most chisel sets come with, users can keep their chisels organized and easy to reach.
Getting the right set of chisels for your woodwork is like an investment in efficiency and performance. A good wood chisel should be long-lasting. A good wood chisel set’s lifespan depends on the type of design the handle is made of and its blade.
When using a mallet, use clean mallet drives and avoid applying too much pressure. Thanks to the improvement in the handle construction of wood chisels which includes top-quality woods these days, it protects against termites and moisture.
Our Favorite Choice Of Wood Chisels Set Summary:
5 Best Wood Chisels Review In Details:
1. STANLEY Sweetheart Wood Chisels Set, 8 Piece
Starting the top 5 best wood chisel lists is the premium item, the Stanley sweetheart chisel set. The sweetheart set of wood chisels were designed based on the classic 750 design. This wood chisel set is most likely the best model of all the Stanley chisels.
This set is a top performing chisel set that is one of the must-have woodworking tools capable of handling all your needs. This choice is an exceptional value for its money because it possesses elegance in design and this elegance comes with the Classic 750 Design series.
The Stanley Sweetheart Chisel set comes with a handle made of hornbeam, which gives the set durability. The long blade attached to the chisel makes the chisel easy to control, and the woodworkers can achieve the carving or cutting result they desire. The edges come with extra narrow bevel sides and are made of high carbon chrome steel, which makes them durable.
The blade of this wood chisel set is made of high carbon steel, which is very easy to sharpen. When sharpened, it stays sharp for a long time. These blades are also forged for that excellent keeping up with heavy demands.
It is also a complete set coming with blade sizes ranging from ¼ to 1 plus a leather tool roll. On a bit of a downside, its blades require sharpening from time to time for excellent results, just like other edged tools.
- The Stanley sweetheart chisel has a limited lifetime warranty.
- It comes in 8 pieces of different sizes; 1/8 inches,1/4 inches,3/8 inches,1/2″, 5/8″,3/4″, 1″ and 1- ¼ inches with a leather roll.
- Weighs 3.39 pounds.
- The blade width of 1/8-1-1/4 inches.
- Light brown wood in color.
- The set comes with a pouch for easy carriage.
- Long blade makes it the best for woodworkers as it gives easy maneuverability.
- The blade is made of high carbon chrome steel.
- The hornbeam handle makes the chisel set more durable.
- The blades require sharpening from time to time.
2. NAREX Woodworking Chisel Set, 4 Piece
The last chisel set on this review list is the Narex 4 piece wood chisel set. If you check for the list of the top best wood chisel set on the internet, this wood chisel set will most likely appear in most, if not all, of them. Made from a small manufacturing company, but still amongst the best set of wood chisels.
Although the cost of this wood chisel set might lead you to expect less from its performance, it is of much better quality. For chisels that will hold their own in the face of regular mortise work, these four mortise chisels from Narex are just the tools for the job.
The handles are made from a beautiful stained Beechwood with two steel ferrules that provide additional reinforcement against repeated prying and malleting. This wood chisel set is heavy-duty while being aesthetically pleasing at the same time.
It comes in a set of four high-quality and durable chisels with very sharp blades. These sharp blades can be relied upon to meet the heavy demands in the workshop. Another reason why these blades can be relied upon because you can easily switch sizes from 6mm to 26mm, depending on what your task requires.
The blades of this wood chisel set are made from tempered chrome-manganese steel at a heat of RC59. Though the blades need to be sharpened before using them for the first time, the components of the steel is made with makes sure that its razor shape edge remains that way for long. The slim cross-section of the blades allows them to be easily controlled to give you the best curves and cuts that you so desire.
- Weighs 1.54 pounds.
- It comes with 4 pieces set of 1/4 inches, 1/2 inches, 13/16″, and 1 1/32 inches.
- 4 ¾ inches-5 ½ inches long.
- Handles made from Musclewood.
- 25-degree bevel for the bevel ground.
- It is rust-resistant.
- Perfect for making mortises.
- Most compatible with a mallet.
- It is perfect for starters and professionals.
- The sharp and heavy-duty blades make the chisel set durable.
- No tool case or pouch.
3. VonHaus 10 Piece Premium Wood Chisels Set
The VonHaus premium wood chisel set might just be referred to as the best all-in-one wood chisel set. This is because it comes with chisel pieces of different sizes which woodworkers can use for various tasks.
It features a user-friendly rubber-made handle that allows the user to use the tool comfortably. The handle is finished with a strong metal strike cap, which helps prevent the handle from splitting when hit by a mallet or hammer.
The rubberized handle prevents the user from feeling the impact of a mallet or hammer on the wood chisel, thereby allowing longer usage. The blades of this wood chisel set are made of chrome vanadium alloy, which has been heat-treated with narrow side bevels, allowing for accurate sharpening and flattening.
This heat treatment also keeps these blades durable and sharp. Thanks to the honing guide and aluminum sharpening stone, there is little or no stress when the user needs to sharpen the wood chisel.
To top the icing is the professional looking wooden case in which the wood chisel set is brought in. This case allows the user to organize the chisel set to their liking.
- The Vonhaus premium chisel set weighs 8 pounds.
- User-friendly rubber-made handle.
- Heat-treated, chrome vanadium steel alloy blades with narrow side bevels.
- Height of 6.5 inches, 6.06 inches long, and 2.99 inches wide.
- User-friendly and rubberized handle for a comfortable grip.
- Set comprises 1 x ¼” chisel, 1 x 3/8” chisel, 1 x ½” chisel, 1 x ¾” chisel, 1 x 1” chisel, 1 x 1 ¼” chisel, 1 x 1 ½” chisel, 1 x 2” chisel (6mm, 10mm, 13mm, 19mm, 25mm, 32mm, 38mm, 50mm) 1 x honing guide and 1 x aluminum oxide sharpening stone (120/200 grit).
- Supplied in a professional, neat wooden storage case.
- Includes a sharpening stone and a honing guide.
- Ideal for professional and home use.
- It comes with a wooden storage case.
- The set has been made split proof for added durability.
- Requires sharpening when unboxed before first-time use and even from time to time.
4. IRWIN Marples 6 Piece Wood Chisels Set
The company Irwin industrial tool understands that edge retention is essential to chisel performance; therefore, they produce chisels from solid-forged, high-carbon steel. They are well known for their solid and durable steel production.
And because of this, this wood chisel set can be referred to as the best wood chisel in terms of steel quality. Most woodworkers acknowledge Irwin wood chisel as a world standard considering the advantages that have kept them as an industry-leading brand for years.
The Irwin marple chisel set features a split-proof acetate handle which woodworkers can use with a wooden mallet or even your palm. Thanks to the smoothly shaped handle, which allows for durability, the user can hold the wood chisel comfortably.
Although the handle is not made of rubber and the user is most likely to feel the force of the mallet on the wood chisel when in use, the handle has been designed to withstand the impact of the mallet and prevent it from splitting.
This wood chisel set contains six chisels where the longest is 11 inches long and 9.5 inches long for the shortest. We can most definitely trust its blades to be razor-shape, and it is made of high-carbon steel, which has been hardened to 58-HRC.
This gives it increased edge retention and gives the blade an extra strength to prevent chipping. In case you are wondering if this wood chisel set comes only in 6 pieces, it also comes in 4 pieces, and you can choose to purchase it with or without a plastic case.
- Slim, contoured handle for added control, precision, and comfort.
- Design for use with a wooden mallet or the palm.
- High-carbon steel blade hardened to 58-HRC for improved edge retention.
- Ideal for traditional fine woodworking applications.
- Set includes 1/4″, 3/8″, 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″, and 1″ chisels, and wooden case.
- The Irwin marples chisel set has a full lifetime guarantee.
- Weighs 3 pounds.
- Blue in color.
- High-quality steel.
- Worth the price.
- They have been made heavy-duty, so they are suitable for demanding tasks.
- The handle has been contoured and slim for improved grip.
- Quite small and not so long handle.
- The chisels need sharpening.
- The non-rubberized handle which allows the user to feel the force of the mallet when in use.
5. HACHIEMON 3 Piece Japanese Wood Chisels Set
This Japanese wood chisels set might just be the lightest of all the wood chisels in this review. It is called “Oire Nomi” in Japan. This wood chisel set consists of 3 chisels, each of blade sizes 9mm, 15mm, and 24mm.
They are definitely 5-star chisels. Once you reground the chisel you want to use, hone it and polish the grind, it works in an amazing manner. For context, this chisel set cuts oak like butter. The set is definitely a great choice for beginners.
The manufacturer of this chisel set – Hachiemon, has taken it upon themselves to contribute to carpenters and woodworkers’ comfort and efficiency by offering high-quality products. These products have been crafted by genuine blacksmiths who have inherited traditional Japanese techniques and have finely honed their skills.
The Japanese origin of this chisel set makes it the best thing to feel in your hands after money. This set of chisels is a top-quality Japanese chisel and is comparable to other higher-rated Japanese chisels.
The steel is made of quality steel that enables it to hold an edge even on hardwoods with some aggressive pounding. The steel most come as really sharp, but you would do yourself a great good if you hone or stop them a few times to deburr the blade.
The sizes of the different chisels in the set allow for versatility, and they are great for use on hard and softwoods. You can use it for manufacturing processes such as creating shallow tenon and mortise holes, polishing roughly drilled holes, adding cylinders onto holes, etc.
You can use this Japanese wood chisels in a wide variety of woodwork such as architecture, fittings, furniture, and smaller projects.
- Handle dimension is of 9.45 inches by 2.99″ by 1.42 inches.
- Includes 3 chisels: 9mm (0.35 in.), 15mm ( 0.59 in.), and 24mm (0.94 in.).
- Incredible sharpness that has been made possible by traditional Japanese techniques.
- Total length: approx.225mm (8.9 in.).
- Weight: [9mm] 107g (0.24lbs.), [15mm] 118g (0.26lbs.), [24mm] 178g (0.39lbs.).
- Japanese history brings elegance and class into the workshop.
- Great for use on hard and softwoods.
- The chisels feel good on the hands.
- Extremely sharp blade.
- Woodworkers and carpenters can strike the handle with a sledgehammer.
- You have to lacquer the handles before you use them.
- Doesn’t come in a box.
When purchasing your wood chisel set, you should not forget to consider the type of wood chisel you want for your task. It could be a mortise chisel; an example is the Narex 4-piece chisel set or a beveled edge bench chisel which is the most commonly used type of wood chisel; An example is the VanHaus 6-piece wood chisel set, or a paring chisel (most times used for shaving off small amounts of wood); an example is the Narex 5 piece paring wood chisel.
If you want the most cost-effective chisel, then the Narex 4 piece wood chisel is for you. Like every woodwork tool, you should take care of your wood chisel set well enough to help make sure it really lasts long.
It should not be used on metals but wood, as the name implies. Avoid getting or leaving your wood chisel wet. It should always be arranged in its tool case; not just left lying around. When sharpening a wood chisel, the honing guide is very essential.
It allows you to accurately and safely sharpen your wood chisel on a sharpening stone. Luckily, the VonHuas 10 piece premium chisel set has got you covered on this. I hope that getting the right wood chisel for the woodwork task at hand will be easier now that you have chosen to read this review.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You: