Choosing the best wood router for your workshop is usually an extreme sport, and the reason is not far-fetched. There is a whole world of options for you, and it is easy to get lost while trying to find your way around the different options.
When you think about the stress, waste of time and energy involved in these searches for the best choice, it may not be worth it. This is why we have decided to ease the stress off you and have done this review, so the best choice for your workshop is easily found. This list consists of a few options on the market that are tested and trusted to help you narrow down the selection.
The sheer beast strength of a table saw, or circular saw can cut even the hardest piece of hardwood in your workshop. However, once in a while, this tough strength isn’t sufficient, and there are a few things that these two powerful saws can’t do. In the event that you need to add a few grooves, many-sided and intricate edges, and different plans to a workpiece, at that point, you certainly need an apparatus called a wood router tool.
Any carpenter deserving at least some respect possesses at least one wood router. The fundamental role of the routers in the workshop is to smooth and trim the rough and ragged edges of a piece of wood. However, these tools are likewise incredibly flexible.
Woodworkers can utilize wood routers to make enhancing and decorative mouldings. These instruments can be used to deliver rabbets and dadoes and also to cut basic and multifaceted patterns and designs on a piece of wood.
All these are made conceivable by a combination of pieces connected to the routers collet. A portion of the popularly used routers are straight, rabbeting, and flush trim pieces.
So whether you are an amateur or a professional in woodworking, the importance of having the best choice of router for your woodworking projects cannot be overemphasised. Apart from making your work way easier, using the best tool for the project would make your finished work outstanding, free from errors and attractive.
This list of routers are the best ones out there and have done a good job in taking the woodworking world by a storm. You would be sure to find the one that fits all your needs and budget within this list.
Our Favorite Choice Of Wood Router Summary:
5 Best Wood Router Review In Details:
1. Bosch 1617EVSPK Wood Router Tool Combo Kit – 2.25 Horsepower
The Bosch 1617EVSPK is well known in the woodworking world for its versatility. As there are not many routers that have been manufactured that can stand side to side with the Bosch Router, it easily passes as a premium choice.
So you might find this particular router on the high side in terms of its price but it is totally worth it – its versatility can’t be matched. One of the amazing features of this particular router is the 12-amp motor that it houses.
This motor provides more than enough cutting power and torque that the toughest of jobs looks too easy when you are working with the Bosch router. When it comes to speed, this router serves, monitors and maintains your desired revolutions per minute, between 8,000 to 25,000 rpm.
This router is powerful such that it can handle a wide range of materials, especially wood, metals and plastics. The Bosch router is very suitable for woodworkers who need everything a wood router does even with the additional benefit of having a combination of fixed and plunge router in one kit.
With this router, you can do a range of techniques, from dove cutting to slot cutting and so on. It is capable of handling most of your tasks. The router is ideal for anyone, whether you are an amateur or a professional.
- It has rounded hardwood which helps to maximise user control.
- The built in constant response circuitry enables the router to maintain a constant speed throughout the cut, so you get cleaner, more accurate results.
- Durable yet with a wooden handle on a fixed base and a soft grip handle on a plunge base.
- The kit comes with a plunge base, fixed base, 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch collet chucks, shaft wrench, collet nut wrench, chip shields and carrying case.
- Threaded three-hole base pattern.
- Dust-sealed power switch.
- One-piece armature shaft.
- 2 In. sub-base opening.
- Double insulated.
- Now includes RA1161 fixed-base with system for adjusting bit height from above a router table.
- Fixed base has threaded holes for mounting to router table positioned in common 3-hole pattern.
- Rugged carrying case has compartments for all included items.
- Power switch – now includes dust-sealed power switch.
- The router is lightweight and compact.
- Comes with a powerful 12-amp motor.
- It has a good height adjustment control.
- Both the plunge and fixed bases have a quick clamp feature which helps the motor move between bases without having to rely on tools.
- Handles a wide range of materials, including metal, without losing power.
- The best value for your money.
- The Bosch machine needs wrenches for collets change.
- One of the most expensive wood routers on this list.
2. SKIL RT1322-00 Plunge and Fixed Base Router Combo Kit
Like the Bosch router, the SKIL 14 amp router is also a plunge and fixed base router combination. In case you don’t already know, SKIL is one of the few manufacturers that ensure efficient performance and power in their products.
The manufacturers do this by using a wide range of innovative technology to develop the best power tools for different purposes. The SKIL RT1322 does not miss out on this innovative technology promised by the SKIL brand as it displays the originality and versatility of the company.
This router is moderately priced but it has a whole lot of amazing features. These features help to enhance its routing ability and at the same time making the router easy to use. Its dual base feature and other easy features makes it a perfect buy for amateurs and beginners.
SKIL RT1322 router has a powerful 14amp, 2.5HP motor that delivers a variable speed between 10,000 to 25,000 RPM. This variable speed feature allows you to customize the router’s speed for specific applications.
At this speed range, this router can easily cut through different types of materials, including hardwoods and composite materials. This 12.2 lbs has a height of 10″, length of 9-7/16″, and a width of 6″. SKIL RT1322 has a dual collet size of ½” and ¼” to ensure its flexibility and versatility.
- The SKIL RT1322 has both fixed and plunge bases.
- Speed control LCD display that allows the operator select the bit-type for appropriate materials.
- Live Indicator router which alerts you that it has been connected to a power source.
- It has an electronic feedback system that ensures that the motor maintains RPM during the entire process of routing the materials.
- It also has dual 1-1/4″ dust extraction adaptors and three LED light located at its motor’s base for enhanced operational visibility.
- SKIL RT1322 includes three coarse depth settings and a micro-depth adjustment that ensures fast and accurate depth-cut adjustments.
- The router uses a soft start technology that allows your model to take off at low revolutions per minute.
- It has ergonomic handles that limit vibration.
- The spindle lock features allow safe bit changes
- The fixed and plunge bases improve the model’s versatility and delivery.
- The ergonomic handles allow the users to use it for extended periods without getting tired.
- The SKIL RT1322 is easy to maintain.
- The machine comes with a 5 year limited warranty period.
- At times, the collet sizes may be incorrect.
- After you have used it for a long time, the speed button tends to become unresponsive.
3. DEWALT DW618PKB 2-1/4-HP Router, Fixed/Plunge Base Kit
A list featuring the best palm routers for woodworking projects is not complete unless the Dewalt DW618PKB is mentioned. This handheld router is a perfect solution for all your wood shaping needs, especially if your workshop does not have much space to work around in.
This DEWALT kit is comprehensive and can be very easy to use for fledgling woodworkers. The kit comes with both plunge and fixed bases (a nice feature that makes this model suitable for a router table)–and the price tag is reasonable.
The tool’s 11-amp motor is powerful enough for routing through tough hardwood at the user’s desired speed. The router features precise depth adjustments and fast, easy motor pack removal for bit and base changes. The plunge base integral dust collection provides superior bit visibility.
The reason why this combo kit is one of the best routers is not far fetched. The plunge and fixed base attachments give all the functionality needed for precision cuts, joinery and even decorative cuts. For people who prefer one handed fixed base cutting, the handle is a wonderful bonus.
- 2-1/4 HP (maximum motor HP), 12.0 Amp electronic variable speed motor.
- Electronic variable speed with full feedback control for constant speed under load from 8,000-24,000 rpm.
- Micro-fine depth adjustment ring provides precise depth adjustments in 1/64″ increments and adjusts vertically for a constant switch/cordset location.
- Integral, through-the-column dust collection collects 95% of the dust and provides superior bit visibility.
- Adjustable, tool-free steel motor cam lock makes depth adjustment and base changes quick and solid-locking.
- Quick-release motor latches for fast and easy motor pack removal for bit and base changes.
- Detachable cordset offers cordset serviceability and removes the need for a “shorty” cord motor pack.
- Precision-machined brass bushings and case-hardened steel guide rods provide a smooth and accurate plunge stroke.
- Spindle lock button allows for single-wrench bit changes.
- The Dewalt router is budget friendly when compared to its amazing features.
- The router has been built for durability and consistency.
- Has a variable speed customizing feature for improve versatility.
- It comes with an LED light set up so that you can work in dim condition.
- The router might not be set up for continuous long hours of use.
- The router can burn out brushes.
4. Metabo HPT KM12VC Router Kit 2-1/4 Peak HP
The Metabo HPT is well known for its amazing precision and controlled cutting abilities. Running from 8,000 to 25,000 revolutions per minute, the router offers easy depth adjustment and holds a set cutting depth well.
The Metabo router offers peak HP performance of up to 2 ¼. The router is capable of performing a wide range of woodworking procedures including trimming, cutting, groove cutting, chamfering, window cutting and shaping.
Combining its solid and ergonomic design with a powerful motor, it is very perfect for beginners and advanced users who want a versatile router for their workshops. Comes with a vibration absorption feature, which helps it to soak up almost all of the noise emitted by its motor.
This model has an 11-amp motor, featuring speed control and offering constant RPM throughout the task for precision. Its motor also offers a no load speed of up to 24,000 RPM.
It also has a comfortable grip handle for better control and less fatigue on your hands. This product also comes with an adjustment knob, offering precise depth control.
- 11 amp motor (2-1/4 peak horsepower) for precise, controlled cuts.
- 2-Stage motor release clamp for quick and accurate depth adjustments and base changes.
- Fine depth adjustment (plunge base) for precise depth control.
- Class leading noise level, only 79.5 dB for quieter workshop.
- Electronic speed control, maintains constant RPM even as load varies.
- Ergonomic styling and designed for precision and comfort.
- It works more quietly than other products in the same category can.
- Provides precise cutting and speed control.
- Comes with both fixed and plunge bases, which are easy to change.
- Has a great depth precision mechanism.
- The speed control may stop working after some months.
5. Makita RT0701CX7 1-1/4 HP Compact Router Kit
The Makita, even though it is one of the most affordable router options available, makes no compromises on its reliability and quality. Over time, it has garnered positive reviews from almost everyone who has used it and this is no sham, there are reasons.
This router allows you to perform your tasks with ease and convenience. This 1-1/4 HP router comes with a powerful motor, which is ideal for cabinet building, countertop installation and other woodworking projects.
It can also provide you with professional results because of its micro-fine adjustment. You can also take advantage of its variable speed to choose per project for the best results.
One of the router’s most prominent features is the ‘slow start component,’ which is just the perfect feature for those who are still quite new to using power tools. This component will allow one to ease into the full power of the tool, and not allow it to go full-throttle from the start. Thereby significantly improving the overall handling of the router, and preventing accidents which may have occurred otherwise.
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 to 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application.
- Smooth rack and pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings.
- Slim and ergonomically designed body for increased comfort and control.
- Quick release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation.
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load.
- Soft start feature for smooth start ups.
- Fixed base accepts industry standard template guides for convenience.
- It has a compact and ergonomic design.
- It has a fair price.
- It is lightweight and easy to use.
- It utilizes efficient power management.
- Great for any intricate projects.
- This router is cordless which means that you have to buy batteries.
In the case that you need the best wood router for beginners, I propose purchasing any of the ones that has been reviewed in this article. They will work for the seasoned DIY folks, experts, and even novices.
They cut across each class and are probably the simplest to use wood router designs. From the best cheapest wood router to the best premium wood router we have everything here. The best suggestions have likewise been added only for you.
I want to help you make your work simple, pleasant, and fast. If you have some other concerns as well, you can generally inquire. We will give you every tip that you need about your next wood router purchase. I hope this list was helpful.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You: