No matter the tool you are using, be it in a room or at a job site, you are most likely to need a workbench. The need for a stable work surface while carrying out a woodwork task cannot be over-emphasized. A workbench not only allows a stable and smooth work experience but also helps to make the task at hand easy to do.
With the right workbench, you can attach or clamp your tools to fit and hold on tightly to the bench thereby restricting any unnecessary shaking or movement. A workbench could be made of wood (especially when it is a fixed workbench), metal, or aluminum (especially when it is a portable workbench).
It also has clamping systems which hold lumber, metal pipes, and other materials. It does not need a battery or any form of electricity which is quite an advantage. Unlike most woodwork tools, a workbench does not have an LED bulb of any sort but hopefully, the LED bulbs of other woodwork tools are bright enough to illuminate the whole workspace.
What about a portable workbench? If just a workbench can help make work easy, a portable workbench can do more. A portable workbench allows you to work wherever, whenever, and however, you need to accomplish a woodwork task.
With a portable workbench, you can make any space in your workplace. The portable workbench has been designed in such a way that it can be easily stored away and easily reassembled. This is made possible by its flexibility; this flexibility makes it possible for it to be folded for easy movement.
For a first-timer, getting the right workbench to suit the task at hand might be quite stressful and confusing because with no doubt, different manufacturers will market their products using impressive words that are most likely not to suit the product but here’s a review to help you select the best workbench for your next woodwork project; be you a first time DIYer, professional carpenter or woodwork finisher.
Because the workbench will be the most utilized tool in your workspace or place, there are a lot of factors to put into consideration when picking the best portable workbench. This includes the weight, this is so that it can be easy for you to carry around, the sturdiness/ build-quality; that is the ability for it to tolerate more weight and jerking, height, storage for tools and table surface.
A good mobile workbench features a flat work surface, a storage unit that could include a tray or holster for keeping tools while working. It also features a sturdy foundation which helps to keep the workbench stable and firmly round while in use. The strength of the workbench legs determines how long the workbench will last and how much it can resist.
There are a lot of portable workbenches but selected and reviewed below are the top 5 best portable workbenches from the best brands. Each of these workbenches promises to give you the best, easiest, and smoothest woodwork experience.
Our Favorite Choice Of Portable Workbench Summary:
Top 5 Best Portable Workbench Review In Details:
KREG KWS1000 – Mobile Project Center
At the beginning of our list of the top 5 portable workbenches is the Kreg KWS1000. This portable workbench is the most premium option on this list. The KREG Tool company manufactures a lot of quality tools but the best tool amongst them is the KWS1000 Mobile Center which is the overall best workbench on this review list.
The biggest advantage of the KWS1000 is its versatility. It is an all-in-one workbench; that is, it could be used as a sawhorse, assembly table, and clamping station, therefore, providing the highest amount of versatility. This workbench has been designed to be so easy to use that converting it into a sawhorse only takes seconds.
Underneath the workbench is a shelf that holds up to 25 lbs. of supplies to avoid obstruction while you work but definitely close to your hands. With the shelf, holster, and tray, you can keep equipment like your drills, saw, nails, etc.
On the bench surface of the Kreg KWS1000 are hole patterns that are designed to accept bench dogs. In case the workspace this workbench provides is not enough, it can be expanded by pairing it with another mobile project center. If you are looking for a multi-purpose portable workbench that meets the value of your money, the Kreg KWS1000 is the best option for you.
- The Kreg KWS1000 has a large work surface of 271/2 by 31 ¼ (70*80) with 360-degree access.
- Its storage for tools is a built-in storage tray used for holding hardware and other parts as well as a shelf underneath it.
- Weighs 40 lbs.
- Locking table support made with easy release tabs.
- Made of aluminum.
- Blue and black colors are available.
- Steel-made legs providing a strong foundation.
- It comes with $40 worth of bonus of clamping accessories which includes 4 Kreg bench dogs, 2 support brackets, 2 Trak bushings, 2 connection keys, a bench clamp with Automaxx technology, and an owner’s manual.
- Can hold loads as heavy as 350 lbs.
- Folds very easily.
- Very durable and great performance.
- Large work surface which allows 360 degrees access.
- The surface is not all flat.
- Lots of plastic increases the possibility of breakage overtime.
- Not so much of a lightweight.
KETER 197283 – Folding Table Work Bench for Miter Saw
If you check for the list of the top best portable workbench on the internet, you will find that Keter is on most of the list. Well in this review article, it stands as the best budget portable workbench.
Be it for sanding or for handy tasks, a Keter folding table is a good pick. This portable workbench stands out not just because of its great performance and first impression but also because of its elegance.
Besides the Keter brand promotes the need for recycling by producing its tools with recyclable materials. It could easily be regarded as the most environment-friendly portable workbench in the woodwork industry.
This portable workbench has been designed to ensure that materials of soft texture do not slide off the top. Most people who have used this tool will agree to the fact that this tool has been built to last because it is designed with weather-resistant materials which allow it to adapt to any working environment.
It is said to be made from rugged polypropylene resin thereby making the workbench long-lasting though it is not advised for materials of heavyweights to stay long on them because of the legs. Thanks to the plastic base of this workbench, it prevents cracking, is resistant to dents and most times do not fade in the sun.
This portable workbench does not take up much space when not in use. It also has two clamps that can be used to hold down the materials you are working on. The designs and engineering of this mobile workbench are no doubt thoughtful and long-lasting, even the flaws can be managed easily to help extend its lifespan.
- The Keter folding work table has a 2-year warranty.
- Weighs 27 lbs., lightweight with heavy-duty capacity.
- Can hold materials weighing up to 1000 lbs.
- Black and yellow.
- Can be installed vertically or horizontally.
- About 33.5 meters long when in use but 4.4 meters long when in use.
- Comes with 12-inch wood clamps, 2 removable quick ratcheting, and a folding work table of the same model.
- Durable and strong.
- Not the adjustable style of workbench.
- Might need extra attention especially the legs.
- Might not be compatible with a c-clamp.
- Does not have a strong lower shelf or any at all.
WORX Pegasus WX051 – Multi-Function Work Table and Sawhorse
The innovative Worx WX051 brings a whole experience to the world of woodwork. It Is a versatile workbench and it could be converted from table to sawhorse in seconds. The manufacturers of this mobile workbench have made it easy for users such that it needs little or no assembly when brought out straight from the box.
Like most of the mobile workbenches available, it has a foldable, thick, and lightweight design which makes it easy to be carried around. The Worx WX051 when in use can hold up to 300 lbs. as a worktable and almost 1000 lbs. when being used as a sawhorse. It provides a work surface of about 725 square inches.
It also has a unique link-lock system that allows it to hold materials of different sizes. Its legs are made of steel supports with a non-slip design which allows it to stay comfortably on grass or pavement.
Worx Pegasus WX051 is strong and solid enough to be used as a permanent work table but built portable so it can be moved from one task to another with ease. It can also be marched with other Pegasus models to make a bigger, fully-functional workspace. It has a built-in lower shelf for holding tools and a power strip for keeping every accessory at reach while in use.
With the two adjusting bar clamps which act as a second hand for the user at the built-in tabletop channels, straight-edged materials can be held in place for gluing, cutting, and tasks alike. Also, with the help of the clamp dog pegs, oddly or round-shaped materials can be secured and held firmly to the worktable
- The WORX Pegasus has a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Weighs 28 lbs., lightweight.
- Has a maximum clamping width of 18 1/4.
- Two quick-adjusting bar clamps for holding straight-edged materials to place.
- Black in color.
- Works up to 300 lbs. as a worktable and 1000 lbs. as a sawhorse.
- Foldable for easy storage.
- Little or no assembly required.
- Easy to adjust from a sawhorse to a worktable and vice versa.
- Comes with a work table, 2 clamps, and 4 clamp dogs.
- It is a somewhat small work table.
BLACK+DECKER WM1000 – Workmate Portable Workbench, 550 Pound Capacity
This review list would not be complete without the Black+Decker workmate portable workbench. Black and Decker are well known for producing quality woodwork tools such as the power tools like the circular saw, jigsaw, cordless drills, random orbit sander, and normal tools such as the portable workbench.
If you are looking for a mobile workbench that provides a large work area then the black+decker workbench is the one for you. When extended, the Black+Decker workmate is 1m tall.
It is made up of heavy gauge steel which lasts long and is strong enough to tolerate materials that weigh about 330 pounds. The work surface has holes that help to hold down tools while working to restrict excess movement.
It is also made up of good quality bamboo which can be easily adjusted by handles. This mobile workbench is designed with a safety mechanism that provides a secure solid frame and reliable structure.
The Black+Decker workmate comes with 4 adjustable swivel pegs that make it easy to clamp materials of irregular shape to the work surface. It has flexible clamping options which allow for quick clamping. This mobile workbench could easily be referred to as the best folding workbench due to its heavy-gauge steel frame.
- The Black+Decker workmate can hold up to 550 lbs. extra weight (250 kg).
- The work surface features a large bamboo top section.
- Weighs 37.8 pounds and is 800 mm long when in use but 1090 mm when folded.
- Most parts are made of steel.
- Comes with a portable work center and vise, 4 swivel pegs.
- Allows for one-handed operation.
- Easy and compact design for quick folding.
- New and of high quality.
- Easy folding design.
- Easy to carry.
- Easy to assembly.
- The connection between the bamboo top and the frame is not long-lasting.
DEWALT DWST11556 – Portable Workbench
Knowing the quality of the products produced by DEWALT, it is quite difficult to doubt their products. The Dewalt DWST11556 has many features which qualify it for this top 5 review list starting from its lightweight.
So far, this workbench seems to be the lightest mobile workbench with a weight of 23 pounds. Its weight makes it very easy and possible for movement be it to a far or close workspace.
It also has a large work surface of 33.4 by 23.8 by 4.5 inches which allows more than one user application, that is, it allows the user to attach different tools to it while it is in use.
This feature makes it the best assistant a woodworker can ever have in his workshop. This portable woodworking bench is compatible with trigger clamps which allow users to carry out any kind of clamping application.
It is also made of strong metal legs which serve as a good and firm foundation for the workbench while in use. Those legs allow it to hold heavy materials that weigh as much as 1000 pounds.
Fun fact, its opening handle can also be used as a tool hanger. The table has a push-button that helps to unlock the kegs so that they can be used nicely.
- The Dewalt DWST11556 has a limited lifetime warranty.
- Can hold materials weighing up to 1000 pounds.
- Weighs 23 lbs., lightweight.
- An opening handle which can be used as a tool hanger.
- Mostly black with a touch of yellow.
- It is about 23.8 inches long.
- Sturdy metal legs that hold the workbench firmly.
- Easy to fold, within 3 seconds.
- Very affordable.
- Can hold a lot of weight and material.
- The size might not be too good to be used with big tools.
Our Favorite Choice Of Portable Workbench Summary:
Now that you know the best workbench to purchase on your next search, it is also expected that you maintain and take care of it to extend its life span. Portable workbenches look like feeble simple tools but they have been designed to tolerate extra weights and sudden movements when in use but there is a need to prevent overloading the storage units and work surface to prevent damage.
Although all of these mobile workbenches are similar in terms of their function, each one of them has additional features that make it unique and more suitable to the weight of the task at hand. There might be a need for more research and questions asking for you to ensure that you get the right tool, do not hesitate to do so and I hope this review was helpful.
DIY Ideas & Projects For You:
- How To Build A Wood Router CNC Machine: DIY Smart Saw Review.
- How To Recondition Batteries: The EZ Battery Reconditioning Review.